Another Fisker Karma has caught fire over the weekend, bringing the tally to two vehicles after a similar incident saw a Karma blamed for burning down the garage of a Houston home this past May.
The incident took place on Friday in a Woodside, California parking lot where one Rudy Burger was returning to his $100,000 plus luxury plug-in hybrid after shopping for groceries. Upon approaching his vehicle, Mr. Burger found smoke pouring from his car and, according to Jalopnik, promptly dialed Fisker, who then instructed him to call 911.
In response to the call, firefighters arrived on the scene, but not before substantial damage was already done to the front driver’s side. Luckily, no one was injured.
Initial suspicion suggested that the cause of the blazed stemmed from the Karma’s A123 System battery, which runs down the center of the car, but that sentiment was quickly denied by Fisker, which issued a statement refuting such claims.
The statement reads:
Fisker engineers, working with independent investigators from Pacific Rim Investigative Group, have begun preliminary examination and testing on the Karma involved in a fire in Woodside, California Friday, August 10.
Evidence revealed thus far supports the fact that the ignition source was not the Lithium-ion battery pack, new technology components or unique exhaust routing.
The area of origin for the fire was determined to be outside the engine compartment. There was no damage to the passenger compartment and there were no injuries.
Continued investigative efforts will be primarily focused within the specific area of origin, located forward of the driver’s side front tire.
Further details will be announced after a full report is completed.
Regardless of the cause, Fisker has had a tough go of it since the launch of extended range luxury plug-in hybrid. In addition to the previous Karma blaze, and financial difficulties, the California-based automaker was recently forced into recalling over 600 Karmas due to possible battery defects. That was after having to recall some 239 Karmas in December of last year because of improperly positioned hose clamps. The hose clamps could have led to engine coolant leaking into the battery compartment, potentially causing an electric short and fire.