These days it shouldn’t take a computer minutes to power on. Often the culprit is those unnecessary programs that automatically run when you log in. Or maybe you have the opposite problem: you want apps like Photoshop and Spotify to open every morning when you power up the computer. Either way, streamlining your startup programs will save time and keep you happy.
Related: How to reinstall Windows 7
Fortunately, there’s an easy solution. Our guide will provide the instructions you need to manually add or remove startup programs in less than 2 minutes. We’ll even give the rundown for Mac users.
Removing items from Windows 8 startup
Shortcut: Simultaneously press the Windows + R keys to open the run dialogue box. Then type msconfig.exe into the dialogue box and choose the startup tab.
1. Log on to Windows 8/8.1 using your account.
2. Move your mouse over the right side of the screen to engage the search menu. Type Task Manager into the search field.
3. Choose the tab labeled Startup.
4. Choose the startup program you’d like to disable. Then hit Disable.
Adding items to Windows 8 startup
1. Right click the item you want to automatically open at startup, select Copy.
2. Simulataneously press the Windows + R keys to open the run dialogue box. Then enter %appdata%.
3. From the menu that appears choose Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Startup.
4. Right click anywhere in the menu and select Paste.
5. Restart the computer to save your startup configuration.
Next Page: Changing Startup Programs in Windows 7 and Mac