Sony Electronics is taking the wraps off of a new Dual RW DVD burner that can write to DVD+R discs at speeds up to 12X on certified 8X DVD+R media, allowing for a full write-once disc to be recorded in approximately six minutes.
The new internal DRU-540A dual format DVD burner is ideal for those who want faster DVD burning speeds coupled with a feature-rich software suite, at an affordable price. Consumers will benefit from the faster speed for their video and audio projects, while business users will appreciate increased data backup performance.
The 12X drive offers a high level of media compatibility, since it also supports 8X DVD-R and 4X DVDÂ±RW burning, as well as 40X CD-R and 24X CD-RW recording speeds. For easy integration into a desktop computer or server, the DRU-540A drive comes equipped with an ATAPI interface.
“Now that DVD burning is a mainstream technology, users are seeking faster speeds to reduce the time it takes to burn their home movies, digital scrapbooks and music DVDs,” said Robert DeMoulin, marketing manager for branded storage products in Sony Electronics’ IT Products Division. “This new DVD drive is Sony’s fastest to date, and should quench the need of first-time buyers and DVD burning veterans alike.”
The DRU-540A is Sony’s sixth-generation Dual RW DVD burner, further contributing to its leadership in the PC-attached DVD drive market.
According to DeMoulin, “Sony was credited for opening a new market when we shipped the world’s first multi-format DVD burners in 2002, and this month we are staking our claim as the first company to ship double layer DVD drives in the United States.”
Sony’s DRU-540A comes bundled with DVD video authoring software, as well as with DVD/CD burning software for creating data, music, and video DVDs and CDs. The full-featured Nero software suite also includes packet-writing software for users to easily record files and folders by dragging them to the appropriate icon on their hard drive. All tasks and applications are accessible via the unique Nero StartSmartlauncher, which serves as the drive’s ultimate command center, giving the user one-click access to all programs in the package. The software suite includes:
- AHEAD Nero Burning ROM 6 SE/ Nero Express 6 CD/DVD mastering software for data, audio and CD/DVD writing and copying;
- AHEAD Nero VisionExpress 2 VCD/SVCD and DVD authoring software for advanced video capturing, authoring, full video editing and photo slideshow creation; users can crop, clean up, add special effects to photos and then add transitions and a soundtrack, as well as cut, edit, dub, and turn videos into Hollywood-style masterpieces;
- AHEAD InCD 4 packet writing software for formatting rewritable discs so they can be used like large floppy disks with drag-and-drop capability;
- AHEAD Nero ShowTime DVD-Video playing software for viewing DVD movies and personal video projects, along with MPEG-4 compatibility;
- AHEAD Nero BackItUp backup software for complete PC backup, with an easy-to-use wizard interface for multiple backup modes, automatically scheduled backups, and backups spanning several CDs or DVDs;
AHEAD Nero MediaPlayer / Wave Editor management/jukebox software and audio editing software for audio file creation with various filters and effects;
- AHEAD Nero Cover Designer disc label creation software for creating individual CD/DVD covers and labels;
- AHEAD Nero Toolkit tool software for critical media and drive analysis used by drive manufacturers worldwide.
Availability and Pricing
The internal DRU-540A rewritable drive will be available next month for an estimated selling price of about $180. It can be purchased through nationwide resellers and retailers, mail order catalogs and select online shopping sites, including sonystyle.com.
Sony supports what it has coined as “worry-free” installation, along with easy operation in addition to toll-free customer and technical service, Monday through Saturday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CDT. The company also provides a one-year limited warranty from the original date of purchase.
Sony DRU-540A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Specifications:
ATAPI (EIDE) internal interface
DVD+R: 12X P-CAV (max.) writing
DVD+RW: 4X CLV (max.) rewriting
DVD-R: 8X Z-CLV (max.) writing
DVD-RW: 4X CLV (max.) rewriting
DVD-ROM reading (single layer): 12X CAV (max.)
DVD-ROM reading (dual layer): 8X CAV (max.)
CD-R: 40X CAV (max.) writing
CD-RW: 24X CLV (max.) rewriting
CD-ROM: 40X CAV (max) reading
Dimensions: 5.75 x 1.63 x 7.56 inches (W x H x L)
Platform support: Windows 2000 and XP
Burst data transfer rate: 33.3 Mbit/s max.
Random access time: 130 ms (CD-ROM), 160 ms (DVD-ROM)
Buffer memory: 2 MB
Buffer under-run error protection technology: Sony Power-Burn