Linksys announced the shipment of its wireless A+G router and access point: Wireless Dual Band A+G Wireless Router (WRT55AG) and A+G Access Point (WAP55AG). These universal dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5.0GHz) multi-mode products for small business and consumers support existing and emerging IEEE wireless standards, including 802.11b, 802.11a, and the 802.11g draft specification. With the Router andAccess Point, Linksys is now shipping a complete line of Wireless A+ G products including its Wireless A+G PC Card and PCI Adapter announced last month.
The Wireless A+G Router and Access point perform at speeds up to 54mbps and can simultaneously support all IEEE approved standard 802.11 modes. This means that no matter what type of 802.11 wireless adapter is being used (in a notebook, desktop, PDA etc.) the access point or router will talk to it. Confusion is eliminated so the customer experience is enhanced.
â€œThe Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+G line of products protect your investment in wireless infrastructure,â€ said Mike Wagner, Director of Marketing at Linksys. â€œIT budgets are tight, so it makes sense to invest in Linksys’ Universal Wireless products to keep you compatible with both existing and emerging standards.â€
Why Wireless A+G?
Wireless A+G products provide the ideal solution for mobile notebook users who may encounter business networks using 802.11a access points or routers and then move to another environment like the home or a hotspot that may be using an 802.11b or draft 802.11g access point. The A+G adapters allow for those notebook users to connect to any 802.11 access point or wireless router. A+G routers and access points allow clients who have any type of 802.11 adapter card, such as a wireless PC Card or USB adapter, to communicate with the network and access the Internet.
The Dual-Band A+G devices also allow a seamless upgrade path to faster 54MBps wireless gear without the need for retiring current 11Mbps assets. They will also help businesses choose the best price and performance for each wireless networking user. When a fast data rate is unimportant, businesses can choose inexpensive 802.11b devices. For users requiring top performance, 802.11a or the cost effective Wireless-G standard can meet their needs without installing additional access point hardware.
Product Features â€“
Dual-Band Wireless A+G Router (WRT55AG)
- Dual-band, tri-standard Wireless Router communicates with Wireless-A (802.11a), Wireless-B (802.11b), and Wireless-G (draft 802.11g) wireless networks
- Built-in 4-port Switch jump-starts a wired network, while the Router functionality securely shares a high-speed Internet connection with wired and wireless computers
- â€“ All Ethernet ports support auto MDI/MDI-X for cable sensing
- Advanced Security: Up to 152-bit Wireless Data Encryption (WEP), VPN pass-through, Internet access filtering, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and NAT.
- A full version of Symantec’s Norton Internet Security 2003 software suite DHCP server capability to assign IP addresses to each user or device automatically
- Easily configurable through a web browser
Dual-Band Wireless A+G Access Point (WAP55AG)
- Dual-band, tri-standard Access Point communicates with Wireless-A (802.11a), Wireless-B (802.11b), and Wireless-G (draft 802.11g) wireless networks
- SNMP manageability and Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS)
- Advanced Security: Up to 152-bit WEP encryption and wireless MAC Address filtering
- Built in Web user interface for easy configuration through any web browser
Pricing and Availability:
The Dual-Band Wireless A+G Router is available immediately through major channel partners starting at an estimated street price of $299. The A+G Access Point carries an estimated street price of $279. Please visit www.Linksys.com for a listing of Where To Buy.