When DC Universe Online went free-to-play back in October of last year, they actually gained members and were able to keep going as a franchise. They’ve kept up with a pretty consistent stream of content for players to purchase, from costume pieces to weapons and powers, but have offered few major expansion packs.
That changes on June 19 with The Last Laugh pack. With the new pack, Mark Hamill returns to his famous role as the Joker — a somewhat surprising move considering that after Batman: Arkham Asylum Hamill said that he was retiring the Joker voice.
New features include Safe House Battles, which means that players can invade each other’s homes, and Headquarter battles with players raiding the Hall of Doom or the Watchtower. Other features include:
- The Shield: Players can unleash this vicious new weapon to bash their opponents, or hurl it to take them down from a distance.
- Graviton Technology Recovery: Players will be tasked with retrieving cutting-edge technology from the hero and villain safe houses. It’s a mad dash to grab the most gravitron singularity capsules!
- The Rescue: Heroes must rescue hostages, while Villains will be freeing arrested criminals from opposing Safe Houses.
- Bomb Disposal: Stockpiles of explosives have been remotely armed by a mischievous third party. Players must gain control of the Bomb Squad’s mech and either neutralize the bombs or use them for dastardly purposes.
- Legends Characters: Combat illuminates with the introduction of the first light-powered Legends for multiplayer combat. Players will soon have access to Kilowog, a Green Lantern, and Amon Sur, a member of the Sinestro Corps.
The Last Laugh pack comes out in two weeks on June 19.