We haven't had a chance to fully test this product yet, but we've assembled this helpful overview of relevant information on it.
The Kobo eReader Touch Edition is their 2011 touchscreen eReader with a 6 inch screen. It uses the E Ink Pearl display format to make it easier on the eyes. With the touchscreen the Touch Edition features a virtual keyboard and on screen page turning. It can display in other languages like Spanish, German, and French. WiFi connectivity is available to download books or do it through the USB. PDF supports is available as well.
– 6 inch screen
– E Ink Pearl display format
– Displays other languages
– PDF support
– WiFi connectivity
BOOK EXPO AMERICA, NEW YORK – May 23, 2011 – Kobo, a global leader in eReading with over 3.6 million users in over 100 countries worldwide, today announced the launch of the All New Kobo eReader Touch Edition. With a revolutionary new touch screen experience, Kobo makes eReading easier than ever and makes it even more accessible to people around the world. Created for readers by readers, the beautiful new design provides the ultimate in reading comfort and is the most portable eReader – thin and light, it travels easily anywhere.
Starting today, the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition will be available for pre-order at leading retailers across North America including Indigo (www.indigo.ca), Best Buy (www.bestbuy.ca), Walmart (www.walmart.ca), and Borders (www.borders.com) for an MSRP of $129.99 USD and $139.99. The new eReader will ship in early June, in time for Father’s Day and Grad gifting, and includes a $10 Gift Card*. The new Kobo eReader Touch comes in an array of new colors and debuts with a line of stylish new accessories, making it the perfect gift. As of today, the first generation Kobo Wi Fi goes to a new everyday low price of $99.99 USD and $109 CAD. Kobo pioneered the affordable eReader in May 2010, and now after record sales, Kobo introduces it’s newest edition to deliver an experience that is easy and enjoyable for everyone, everywhere, now more portable and comfortable, and available in 6 languages – it is truly the first International eReader.
Kobo’s Real Touch™ experience uses Neonode’s new zForce™ infrared touch technology to make the experience of reading on Kobo is just like that of reading a real book. With the latest Pearl eInk™ technology, reading on the new Kobo eReader is just like reading print on paper –it is easy on the eyes, even in bright sunlight. The new eReader is the first to be powered by the new Freescale™ i.MX508 processor, a high performance engine designed to enable fast page turning for electronic paper displays. A reading lover’s dream, the new device boasts storage of up to 30,000 books with expandable memory.
“The new Kobo eReader is a major advance for readers. We started with a simple, yet powerful idea – to bring eReading to more people in more places, and inspire people around the world to spend more time reading. At a time when technology is disrupting all media, Kobo’s focus on the importance of reading has resulted in a revolutionary new experience for readers,” said Michael Serbinis, Chief Executive Officer of Kobo Inc. Added Serbinis, “this is the first eReader you can put in your pocket, take with you anywhere and read for hours just like a real book, with ultimate comfort and no distraction. The new Kobo eReader is designed for people who love to read.”
Named one of the powerhouses in eReading by Time.com¹ in 2011, Kobo has experienced explosive growth since its founding in Dec 2009, with a catalog of over 2.3 million books, newspapers and magazines and over 3.6 million users worldwide. Purely focused on eReading, Kobo has driven many industry firsts like support for Android, eBook gifting, and its social experience – Reading Life. Kobo has customers in over 100 countries, local stores in English speaking countries and recently announced local stores in Germany, Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands launching beginning this May. Kobo has become the partner of choice for leading tablet OEM’s such as Samsung and RIM, and powers book retailers in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and the UK.
Visit the Kobo booth (#2102) at BookExpo America (May 24–26) in the Digital Zone,to learn all new Kobo eReader Touch Edition. Plus, visit Borders-Manhattan (Columbus Circle) on Tuesday, May 24 from 12 noon – 2pm to see a demonstration of the Kobo eReader Touch Edition. Customers who pre-order the Kobo eReader Touch will receive free priority shipping on their order. Readers can also purchase the Kobo Wireless eReader for the low price of just $79.99 and receive a $10 Borders gift card with their purchase. In addition, one lucky customer will win a Kobo Wireless eReader during the demonstration event.
* While quantities last.
¹ Harry McCracken, ‘Your Best eReader May Be No eReader,’ Thursday, Jan. 20, 2011, Technologizer -Time.com
Kobo eReader Touch Edition: Features Overview
AMAZING NEW REAL TOUCH™ EXPERIENCE – Now with new Infrared Touch Technology, eReading just got way easier! You can swipe to turn pages, just like a real book! With our intuitive new touch interface, you can also highlight a phrase, lookup a word, zoom into an image, increase the font size, or quickly navigate through a book and your entire library. Finding your next read is also quick and easy with a virtual keyboard. We’ve taken the buttons out of the way, so you can focus on reading.
• New zForce™ Infrared touch technology –Uses Neonode’s patented touch-screen technology, zForce™, to deliver market leading finger navigation including gestures, multi-touch, sweeps and much more.
• New Pearl 6” eInk Screen – Equipped with the newest E Ink Screen featuring 16 level grey scale, the Kobo eReader Touch is a highly responsive and intuitive experience designed to help you forget about the device and focus on reading.
• High Performance Engine – The first eReader to use the Freescale™ i.MX508 for ultra fast page turning and low power consumption
• Tap or Swipe to Turn Pages – Easily read and turn pages by swiping or tapping the screen – it’s just like reading a real book!
• Beautiful Home Screen -A beautiful, geometric mosaic of your most recently opened and newly added reads lets you easily find and open what you’re looking for with just one touch.
• Long Press for Highlights and Look Up – Long press on a word to bring up the highlighting tool – save favorite passages or look up a word using the built-in Mirriam-Webster Dictionary.
• New Search & Virtual Keyboard – The Kobo eReader Touch virtual keyboard makes it easy to find the book you’re looking for. Plus, the new predictive search feature automatically offers suggestions that match your query – before you’re even done typing.
• New Browse Experience – Navigating the new touch screen is an intuitive experience – use the book browser to easily navigate through an entire chapter in a book; use simple page controls to move quickly through your library books.
• Customizable Fonts – 2 font styles and 12 font sizes allows you to enjoy a read that is suited to your preferences and easy on your eyes
• Bookmark Where you Last Left Off – or book mark several places. Plus, read across devices and pick up from the last page read with Kobo’s synched bookmark technology.
• PDF Zoom and Landscape – Zoom in 200% on image-intensive PDFs with a simple double tap. Drag to pan around images or touch Rotate to change from portrait to landscape and back.
BEAUTIFUL NEW DESIGN: With our design partner IDEO, we spent months listening to real readers to build a truly advanced reader that delivers a ‘true to life’ experience. With the Kobo-signature soft quilted back and travel friendly size, the new Kobo eReader Touch offers the ultimate reading experience.
• Iconic, Striking New Design – Now with latest 6” Pearl eInk screen, Kobo’s latest edition introduces a contemporary design that puts the focus on reading.
• Single Home Button -With our new touch experience, we’ve eliminated the clutter so you can focus on Reading. The Kobo eReader Touch Edition has just one button, making navigation easy. Books don’t have keyboards – neither should your eReader.
• The Ultimate in Reading Comfort – With our signature quilted soft-touch back, you can read for hours, plus the Kobo eReader Touch is lightweight and thinner than most paperbacks.
• The Perfect Size for Readers – Fits in your pocket easily, so you can take it with you everywhere.
• Read in Style – Comes in an assortment of stylish new colours for any occasion. Choose from Lilac, Blue, Silver and Black.
ACCESS MILLIONS OF TITLES: Easily connect via Wi Fi or USB to access over 2.3 million books, newspapers and magazines from the Kobo Store. Also borrow and read books from your local library.
• Get Free Book Previews- comes pre-loaded with 15 hand-picked FREE previews of the hottest new books– browse and preview millions more in the Kobo store.
• One of the largest stores worldwide – Over 2.3 million eBooks, with titles ranging from the NYT’s bestseller list, the hottest new releases, thrillers, romance, Oprah’s Picks and more – there is an eBook for everyone
• Popular Newspapers & Magazines – Enjoy free 2-week trials of the most popular newspapers and magazines
• Over 1 Million FREE Titles – Kobo offers over 1 million free and engaging classics from Anna Karenina, to Pride and Prejudice, to Dracula!
• Visit Your Local Library – With the new Kobo eReader Touch you can easily borrow and read eBooks from your local public library
• Supports The Most Content – In addition to reading eBooks from the Kobo bookstore, you can also read eBooks from other eBook stores that use the ePub format – plus read PDF documents, and books.
• Buy & Download in Minutes – With just a few quick taps, you can browse, buy and download eBooks to your Kobo eReader Touch over Wi Fi
• Shop & Read on Any Device With Kobo: Visit kobo.com, use the Kobo Desktop or use an Android™ phone, iPhone®, iPad®, Blackberry® Smartphone or Blackberry® PlayBook to browse and shop the Kobo store. Your library will always be kept up to date with Kobo Sync.
EARN AWARDS JUST FOR READING: Kobo extends Reading Life to the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition – Reading Life is the most comprehensive social eReading experience and an industry-first social platform.
• Discover Your Reading Style – Gain insight into your unique eReading fingerprint with Reading Life Stats – you can track the minutes per reading session of your current read, the number of pages you’ve turned, plus see an overview of books completed in your library
• Celebrate Reading with Awards – Earn fun & exciting awards! Connect and share your Reading Life with friends on Facebook. The Twain: read daily for 2 weeks; The Juggernaut: read over 10,000 pages; Kill the Commute: read during your morning commute. Coming soon –awards with rewards just for spending time reading!
• Available for iPhone, iPad…and iPod Touch, Android – in addition to the Kobo eReader Touch
Love Reading Life? You can sync with your Android-enabled phone, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and experience your Reading Life across devices
THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL EREADER: To bring eReading to people around the world in their own language. The Kobo eReader Touch Edition will be available in multiple Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, and Italian. Readers will enjoy a localized user experience, local content, recommendations, and a local store.
• Available for pre-order starting today at leading retailers across North America including Indigo (www.indigo.ca), Best Buy (bestbuy.ca), Walmart (www.walmart.ca), and Borders (www.borders.com) for MSRP of $129 USD
• Available for in-store purchase at these stores and additional retail stores starting in early June
• As of today, the first generation Kobo Wi Fi goes to a new everyday low price of $99.99 USD and $109 CAD while quantities last.
• International language, of the Kobo eReader Touch Edition will ship to the retailers worldwide in July
• For more information, visit www.kobo.com/ereaders
About Kobo, Inc.
Kobo is a global eReading service with more than 2.3 million eBooks, magazines and newspapers – one of the largest eReading catalogues in the world. Kobo believes consumers should have the freedom to read any book on any device and has attracted millions of readers from over 100 countries across the globe. Kobo has top ranked eReading applications for iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows and MacOS, and is the eReading application of choice for leading tablet. The Kobo eReader is also available at leading retailers including Indigo, Walmart, Best Buy, Borders, WHSmith, Angus & Robertson’s and Whitcoull’s. Kobo’s innovative Reading Life is an industry-first comprehensive social eReading experience – Kobo users can earn awards simply for time spent reading and encouraging others to read. Kobo is backed by majority shareholder Indigo Books & Music Inc, Cheung Kong Holdings, and institutional investors. For more information, please visit www. Kobo.com
Digital Trend’s eReader Buying Tips:
Nothing can make or break a device like battery life. E-readers have this category locked down. The Kindle’s battery, for example, can last as long as one month on a single charge.
What are E-readers?
E-book readers are devices designed specifically for reading text. They’re made for people who enjoy reading novels and other long articles. Most e-readers have monochrome E-Ink screens, which mimic the look of ink on paper. E-Ink screens are great at displaying text and easy to read in the sunlight, but can’t pull off moving video. Most e-readers don’t have a backlight either, so nighttime reading requires a reading lamp. Long battery life, low prices, and simple e-book store access characterize the majority of these devices. The Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook are the most popular options.
There are versions that feature full LCD touchscreens and video like the Nook Color. Though an e-book reader at heart, the device has a seven inch, full color touchscreen and runs on Google’s Android OS, a smartphone and tablet operating system. It offers moving video, slick magazines, fast web browsing, doc and productivity software, and a small app store.
What do you want to use it for?
Now that we’ve established some basics about e-readers, it’s time to figure out which type of device is best for you. The best way to do that is to ask yourself what features matter most to you and how you plan to use the device. E-readers are great for reading novels, newspapers, text-heavy magazines, and reading in direct sunlight.
All of the most popular e-readers are under $400, and many low-end readers cost less than $100. Standard editions of the Kindle, Sony Reader, and Nook all cost under $200. Best of all, many of these devices have free lifetime 3G access built into them.