Marvel Studios Films
Guardians of the Galaxy (August 1, 2014)
The Guardians of the Galaxy will be a bit more off-kilter than the other Marvel films. It introduces several new alien races, and expand the Marvel Universe to a galactic scale. That could open the door for several new storylines and characters, including the original Captain Marvel, aka Mar-Vell, of the Kree. From there it is an easy step to the Avengers “Galactic Storm” storyline, which put the Avengers in the middle of a war between the Kree and the Skrull (who were -arguably – introduced as the “Chitauri” in The Avengers). The Nova Corps, a group of intergalactic peacekeepers, will also appear and play a prominent role.
Directed by James Gunn (Super, Slither), the film will star Chris Pratt as Peter Quill (aka Star Lord), Dave Bautista as Drax, and Zoe Saldana as Gamora. The rest of the team will CGI, and include the voices of Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon and Vin Diesel as Groot.
The story will revolve around a “powerful object” that the group gets their hands on, forcing them on the run. The inclusion of Drax the Destroyer is also likely to have larger consequences. The character in the comics was specifically created to defeat Thanos, the enemy seen at the end of The Avengers who has been confirmed to return in future Marvel movies, possibly starting with Guardians.
- Michael Rooker will appear as Yondu, one of the founders of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- John C. Reilly will appear as Nova Corps member Rhomann Dey, opening the door for future members of the Nova Corps in other Marvel films.
- Karen Gillan is playing Nebula, the self-professed daughter of Thanos. In the comics, her claims anger Thanos, who uses the Infinity Gauntlet to turn her into a zombie-like creature. She then steals the Gauntlet for herself and fights a collection of Marvel heroes, along with Thanos himself. Nebula is also bald, explaining why Gillan shaved her head (see below). [7/9/13] [7/22/13]
- Lee Pace plays Ronan the Accuser, a member of the Kree race who was often an antagonist, but not always a bad guy. Djimon Hounsou plays Korath, another member of the Kree and an ally of Ronan. [7/9/13] [7/22/13]
- Benicio Del Toro will appear in this film, and several other Marvel films as The Collector, a member of the “Elders of the Universe,” and a possible antagonist. Traditionally though, The Collector has been more ambiguous in his intentions. Del Toro first appeared in costume at the end of Thor: The Dark World. [7/9/13]
- Glenn Close will play Nova Prime, leader of the Nova Corps. [7/22/13]
- President of Production at Marvel Studios Kevin Feige has confirmed that Thanos will appear in Guardians, as well as several other films. [7/25/13]
- Pictures of Close and the Nova Corps have been released (see right). [8/12/13]
- Principle photography has wrapped. [10/14/13]
- The film may further expand upon the Infinity Gems, which were introduced in Thor: The Dark World. That in turn could set up an “Infinity Gauntlet storyline int he future, uniting all the Marvel characters on film to face off with an all-powerful Thanos. [1/17/14].
- A trailer has been released. [2/19/14]
Next Page: The Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1, 2015)