Ant-Man (July 17, 2015)
You can credit the birth of this film primarily to Edgar Wright, who was so adamant about wanting to make this movie that he created a short sizzle reel showing how it would look visually. The reaction was so strong that it isn’t just an Ant-Man film, it is Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man. It will also kick off Marvel’s Phase Three.
The story will show a different side of the Marvel Universe and a comedic take of the superhero genre. The plot is still being kept quiet, but it will feature both the original Hank Pym (played by Michael Douglas), and the current Ant-Man, Scott Lang (Paul Rudd).
- With Wright attached, it is an obvious possibility that his long time collaborators, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost may be involved.
- Wright has said that the film will have funny moments, but it won’t be a comedy. [7/22/13]
- Following a tweet from Simon Pegg pointing to an Ant-Man image, rumors about him playing the title character were everywhere. Pegg quickly replied and said his tweet was just a shout out to Wright, and he currently is not involved with the film. [8/17/13]
- Marvel has moved up the release of Ant-Man from November 6 to July 31. [9/10/13]
- Edgar Wright has released the image on the right featuring Ant-Man. [10/2/13]
- The filmmakers are also looking to cast a “30-ish” female love interest, possibly the future Wasp. [11/25/13]
- Rashida Jones has been mentioned for the part of the love interest love interest. [11/25/13]
- Paul Rudd has been cast in the role of Scott Lang/Ant-Man. [12/18/13]
- Michael Douglas has been confirmed as Hank Pym, the original Ant-Man. [1/13/14]
- Actor Michael Pena is in talks to appear in the film, reportedly as a villain. [1/17/14]
- The film may be set in two different time periods, with a younger Hank Pym active as Ant-Man during the Cold War, and Lang appearing in the modern day. [1/17/14]
- If the film does feature a Cold War setting, Pena is rumored to appear as a Castro-like antagonist. [1/17/14]
- Ant-Man has been pushed up from July 31, 2015 to July 17, 2015. [1/24/14]
- Patrick Wilson (Watchmen) has joined the cast in an undisclosed role. [2/28/14]
Next Page: Unknowns & Rumors