I’ll start with the bad news: iOS doesn’t provide a native application to create contact groups on the fly.
Here’s the good news: There are a handful of free apps available in the App Store that can help you cross this bridge. Even better, creating contact groups the way Apple intended is easy enough.
iCloud is Apple’s online storage space and allows iPhone users store documents, contacts, and calendars and access them on any device. In this how-to guide, we’ll cover the ins and outs of creating contact groups with iCloud and give a quick tutorial on how to make contact groups on the fly with a popular app called Groups.
How to Make a Contact Group on iPhone 5 on iCloud (Cross Platform)
1. Plug your iPhone into your computer using your iPhone USB cable.
2. If you haven’t already, download iCloud Control Panel. Follow the download dialogue. Once downloaded, iCloud Control Panel will ask to restart your computer.
3. Open iTunes.
4. When your iPhone is successfully connected to iTunes, an iPhone icon will appear upper right corner of the iTunes main page (right next to the iTunes Store icon). Click the iPhone icon. This will take you to a summary of your device.
5. On your iPhone summary page, scroll down to the Options category. Check the box that corresponds with Automatically sync when iPhone is connected. This will allow your iPhone to automatically sync with iCloud.
7. Sign in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password. Click on the Contacts icon. All of your contacts will be listed here.
8. On the contact window, click the + sign in the lower left corner. Then select, New Group. Click and drop contact names over the the new group icon that appears in the left sidebar. To name your new group, double click the Untitled Group icon and type in your new name!
9. Your group will automatically sync with your contact list in your iPhone. To use your new group, select the contacts icon on your iPhone. Then, in the upper left corner of your contacts page, choose Groups. Check the groups you want to use then select Done.
How to make a Contact Group Using Groups (App)
Groups is available on the iTunes App Store. Free and fairly easy to use, the App will allow you to create groups without plugging your phone into your computer.
1. On your iPhone, go to the App Store. Enter Groups into the search field. Install and open app.
2. On the Groups app main page, select Add New Group.
3. On the New Group page, select No Contacts – Add Some. Then, select the people you’d like to include. Name your group by tapping on the title bar, then tap on the blue and yellow persons icon to personalize your group icon. When you’re finished, hit Done in the upper left corner. Note: You can add one person to multiple groups.
4. To add or remove people to existing groups, click on the group name, select Manage in the upper right corner. Then, select the option that lists the number of people in the group. When completed, hit Done in the upper left corner. Tip: Let your iPhone automatically sync with iCloud. That way, when your phone is connected to your computer, your groups will automatically export and backup to your Contacts on iCloud.
That’s it! Did you find our tutorial on how to make groups on your iPhone helpful? Do you have a better way? Let us know in the comments below.