It’s got voice-guided turn-by-turn driving directions. It’s got live traffic information for cities around the world. It’s got Street View imagery. It’s even got Mildura in the right place.
Google Maps returned to the iOS platform late Wednesday night after a three-month absence.
The app was removed by Apple in favor of its own (much-criticized) Maps app with the launch of iOS 6 in September.
Google’s all-new free app is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5; the iPod Touch (3rd/4th/5th generation) and iPad, and requires iOS 5.1 or later. This link takes you to Google Maps in the iTunes store.
And here are the details from Google:
Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
* Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
* Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
* Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
* Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
* Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
* Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
* View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
* See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
* View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
* An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
* Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
* Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.