Do you want to listen to podcasts on your Android or iOS device, but aren’t sure of the best way to do so? No problem, here’s a quick guide to get you listening to your favorite shows quickly and easily on either device.
If you have an Android phone, there are two ways of getting podcasts. The first requires you to be near a computer, while the second can be done on the move.
Using mass storage
- Find your podcast of choice on the Web, then save it locally on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Select either “disk drive” or “mass storage” mode when prompted.
- Open the folder to view files and drag, or copy and paste, your podcasts over to your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect your phone as usual. That’s it, just use your phone’s standard music player to listen.
- If you use iTunes to download and manage your podcast collection, things are a little more complicated. You’ll need another piece of software to sync them up, such as Sailing Media Sync.
Android podcast apps
If you want to deal with podcasts on the go, or would prefer to manage subscriptions on your phone, then you’ll want a dedicated app. Google Listen has been discontinued, but that just means you’re forced to try out some of the many, great third party alternatives. We’re partial to the simple and incredibly easy to use OneCast, along with the more powerful Podkicker, If you’re happy to pay for your podcast app, then DoggCatcher works well, though it does have a more robust, but less user friendly interface.
An alternative that may not immediately spring to mind is Stitcher Radio, which along with its live radio function, does a decent job of dealing with podcasts too. It’s also free to download. You may want to try all of these apps to see which works best for you.
There are also two ways of handling podcasts on your iPhone, and owners often have the advantage of using iTunes.
Using iTunes on Mac/PC
- Visit the iTunes store on your Mac or PC, select Podcasts, and either subscribe or download individual podcasts from there.
- Then, after ensuring your device is connected either by USB or by Wi-Fi, choose your iPhone, iPod or iPad from the Device list down the left-hand side, and select the Podcast menu.
- Here you’ll see a check box saying Sync Podcasts. Tick the box, then you can select which podcasts to sync and how many episodes. You can also refine this choice by selecting and de-selecting them from the Episodes box.
- Once you’re done, hit the Sync button and let iTunes do the rest.
iOS Podcast Apps
First, lets deal with Apple’s official app. With your podcasts synced from iTunes, here’s how to listen to them.
- If you don’t have Apple’s Podcasts app installed, all your podcasts can be found in the Music app.
- If you do have the Podcast app, open it and you’ll see your podcasts laid out as tiles, which when tapped bring up a list from which you can select your episode of choice.
- Tapping the Catalog option at the top of the screen opens up the iTunes Podcast store, where you can download and subscribe to new ‘casts too.
Apple’s own Podcast app isn’t particularly popular, but is perfectly acceptable for the average user. Those who want more should take a look at iCatcher! and Downcast — both of which are universal for the iPhone and the iPad — and Instacast, which has both a standard and a more expensive HD version. These are three of the most popular alternatives.
If you have a preferred Android or iOS podcast app, feel free to share it with us.