We’ve been hearing about Danny Boyle’s return to his old stomping grounds with a sequel to the seminal 1996 film Trainspotting for some time now. Recently, the popular director revealed more about his return to the project that helped launch his career.
In an interview with the BBC, Boyle said that the sequel to Trainspotting will shoot next summer, as well as revealing, unsurprisingly, that he has some real apprehension about the follow-up to the acclaimed original.
“Obviously it’s worrying because people will kill us if we made a bad job of it,” Boyle told the BBC. “But you have to thrive on that potential danger within it and if it feeds into it, you might get a decent film out of it you know.”
An adaptation of the novel of the same name by Irvine Welsh, the original film centered around a group of heroin addicts in Edinburgh, Scotland. The film struck a cord with audiences, and helped make Boyle and Ewan McGregor household names.
The 58-year-old Boyle has gone on to win an Oscar for his 2008 film Slumdog Millionaire, and has won or been nominated for most other major awards in the industry. His latest film starring Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs, premiered on September 5 to critical acclaim.
Boyle has previously indicated that any follow up to Trainspotting would likely be based off of Welsh’s follow-up novel Porno, a book that takes place ten years later and centers on pornography instead of drug use.
Trainspotting 2, he says, will shoot in May and June of next year. All members of the original cast, including Ewan McGregor, Robert Carlyle and Jonny Lee Miller, are scheduled to return for round two.
Given that fact, and the pedigree of it’s extremely talented creator, Trainspotting 2 should have what it takes to be received as a solid follow up to the original — especially since Boyle clearly understands what will happen if he misses the mark: “I will get absolutely crucified,” he said.