Home > Movies & TV > Netflix looks to land Vice-style news programming…

Netflix looks to land Vice-style news programming, new Star Wars

News programming, in one format or another, is on its way to Netflix, and the upcoming installment of Star Wars may be as well.

Those were two of the major content highlights from the streamer’s Q3 call to investors, which also sought to address concerns regarding falling U.S. subscription growth. On the call, CEO Reed Hastings asked chief content officer Ted Sarandos how likely it is that Netflix will compete with Vice News in the next two years. “Probably high,” replied Sarandos (according to Variety).

“On the news side, we are definitely being more adventurous about the genres we are going into,” said Sarandos.

Related: Netflix raises prices on most popular plan to $10 a month

That being said, while Netflix may tackle more documentaries and documentary series like HBO’s gritty Vice series, a Netflix rep told Variety that Sarandos’ comments didn’t mean the company was hoping to get into the “reporting and live news business.”

As for locking down access to the new run of Star Wars films, Netflix has a deal beginning on January 1, 2016 for exclusive rights to all of Disney’s new films following that date, including the studio’s sprawling slate of Star Wars sequels. However, as Disney’s first offering in the Star Wars series, Star Wars: The Force Awakens hits theaters on December 18, it’s still under an existing contract Disney previously inked with Starz.

Sarandos noted that bringing The Force Awakens to Netflix isn’t yet entirely out of the question, though. “It’s up to Disney. … It’s an ongoing discussion.”

Netflix still has a few high profile programs on the way this year, as well: the Mr. Show reboot W/ Bob & David (out November 13), and Marvel’s Jessica Jones (November 20), joining the just-released feature that has caused a shakeup in the theater worldBeasts of No Nation.