The PDR-5300 boasts high level features such as a 5.0 megapixel CCD image sensor, a powerful 3X optical zoom lens with a versatility-enhancing wide aperture range, state-of-the-art noise reduction technology, user-selectable shutter speeds (8 seconds to 1/1500 second), plus a full suite of optional manual controls, all working together to provide excellent photographic results in a variety of lighting conditions. It is expected to ship later this month with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $399.
Toshiba’s most advanced digital still camera to date, the PDR-5300 boasts high level features such as a 5.0 megapixel CCD image sensor, a powerful 3X optical zoom lens with a versatility-enhancing wide aperture range, state-of-the-art noise reduction technology, user-selectable shutter speeds (8 seconds to 1/1500 second), plus a full suite of optional manual controls, all working together to provide excellent photographic results in a variety of lighting conditions.
Because of the five-megapixel resolution (2560×1920), large, ultra-fine images can be printed in photo sizes up to 11.25 inches x 16.5 inches suitable for framing, business use and digital artistry.
“The PDR-5300 accommodates different types of users and levels of skill, from the discerning photographer requiring total manual control over shooting functions to the weekend digicam enthusiast who wants a high-performing, easy-to-use camera to capture special moments,” said Doug Freck, Vice President/General Manager, Toshiba Imaging Systems. “At $399, the PDR-5300 expands the range of consumer camera choices by offering superior features for the price of an entry-level digital camera.”
The PDR-5300 is one of the smallest 5.0 megapixel optical zoom equipped digital cameras on the market. The slim stainless-steel body (3.66″ x 2.32″ x 1.34″, 6.3 ounces), retractable lens barrel, and elegant grip accents are coupled with an ergonomic control layout to make the PDR-5300 both stylish and functional.
The PDR-5300 is laden with advanced technological features ensuring the highest quality imaging. Some of these features include –
- Resolution – For sharp, pure color pictures with natural skin tones, the PDR-5300 comes equipped with a 1/1.8 inch CCD sensor delivering 5.09 million active pixels. User-selectable resolution settings are 2560×1920, 2048×1536, 1280×960 and 640×480 in universal JPEG file format. In addition, there are 320×240 and 160×120 settings for creating AVI movie clips with audio.
- Optics – The aspheric, all glass lens system has a combined 12X zoom (3X optical, 4X digital) to provide a wide image capture range (7.2mm to 21.6mm, equivalent to a 35mm to 105mm 35mm zoom lens). The multi-point autofocus system accurately locates and follows the subject to facilitate faster and easier focusing.
- Operation – Users select the degree of control exercised over the PDR-5300’s functions, from full manual mode to full automatic mode. To satisfy the requirements of more sophisticated photographers, it allows control over exposure, shutter speed, white balance, focus, color, contrast and ISO sensitivity. These controls – combined with selectable metering modes (center, spot) and a 4-mode flash system – offer precise exposure in almost any shooting condition. Moreover, the forced and suppressed flash options enable customized flash photography. To free the beginner from having to evaluate different scene conditions, the PDR-5300 has a scene-select mode, such as sports, portrait or landscape, each with pre-set exposure levels for optimal shooting results.
- LCD/Viewfinder – The PDR-5300 features both an optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment and a 1.5-inch color TFT LCD screen for framing shots or playing them back as a single frame, slide show, or 9-picture thumbnail. The LCD screen features an on/off switch, so the user can conserve the rechargeable power supply.
- Compatibility – The PDR-5300 is compatible with USB-equipped PCs running MicrosoftÂ® WindowsÂ® 98/2000/ME/XP, as well as Apple MacintoshÂ® computers running Mac OSÂ® 9.0/9.1 or later, OSX 10.1.3 to 10.1.5, 10.2 and 10.3.
- Memory – The PDR-5300 ships with a 16 MB SecureDigital (SD) card – enough storage capacity for 6 to 181 images depending on the resolution setting. It is compatible with SD cards up to 512 MB.
- Accessories – The PDR-5300 comes with a 16MB SD card, USB (Ver 1.1) cable, video cable, CD-ROM with ACDSee Systems imaging software, an environmentally friendly Lithuim-ion rechargeable battery, AC Adapter and instruction manual.