Whenever a new version of Android launches, it usually means at least a six month wait before any current handsets get the update, if they get it at all. For Samsung owners, that may change. Google introduced Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) in late June, but Samsung fanblog SamMobile reports that updates may be just around the corner for owners of the Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, and Galaxy Note.
Android 4.1 has a more robust notification tray, better homescreen customization, Google Now (Google’s Siri), and many other smaller updates. It’s not a major overhaul of Android, but does smooth out the experience.
SamMobile claims these “insider” sources are the same that provided it with reliable info on Android 4.0 updates, but it is still rumor so please take this information with a grain of salt. It claims that Android 4.1 on the Galaxy S3 has already passed internal testing and should be available by late summer or early autumn. The Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note both appear to be getting the update as well, hopefully before the end of 2012. The site also mentions the Galaxy Note 2, which has not yet been unveiled by Samsung. We are expecting it at the end of August.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 X 5G phone: Everything you need to know
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 display could be bigger than the iPhone XS Max screen
- Samsung Galaxy S10 to launch February 20: Here’s everything we know
- Samsung foldable phone: Everything we know so far
- New Tidal app will bring a wave of music to your Samsung smartwatch