Apple and Facebook may soon be on the way to BFF status. Business Insider is reporting that industry insiders have told them to expect an announcement at June’s Apple Worldwide Developers Conference that Facebook may become a part of the new iPhone OS.
As this is still in the rumor stages, details are obviously scarce, but a few things are expected. There is already a Facebook app for the iPhone that allows users iPhone users to see the profile picture of their Facebook friends as their picture ID for incoming calls. That could become part of the OS makeup, and Facebook contact syncing is expected as well, so that you can add a friend on Facebook, and their number would be ported directly to your iPhone.
There are also rumors that Apple may integrate Facebook Connect directly into the software developers kit, which would allow third party developers to include, and expand upon Facebook’s social networking.
Since this news is still unconfirmed, there haven’t been any announcements as to what exactly this new move between the two companies will entail. But the possibilities of combining Apple’s innovation and resources with Facebook’s social networking and customer base are intriguing. We should hear more in June.
- Following the Portal, augmented reality glasses may be Facebook’s next step
- Code suggests Facebook is working on a comment keyword mute tool
- You can now share saved Facebook posts with a Pinterest-like collection tool
- Facebook users unknowingly gave companies permission to see private messages
- Invite your friends — Facebook Events can now be shared to Stories