The result is iSteve, a 79-minute spoof that takes a light-hearted look at the life of the late Apple co-founder, with Justin Long – who, by the way, played Mac in a series of Mac vs. PC commercials that aired a few years ago – taking on the lead role.
Hosted by comedy website Funny or Die, writer and director Ryan Perez told the New York Times recently that he wanted to make a biopic poking fun at biopics.
He admitted that while his effort “might not be the best” stab at a Steve Jobs biopic, he was pleased that it’d be the first.
At least two more movies based on the life of the late Apple boss are in the works. Ashton Kutcher’s jOBS movie was set to go on general release this Friday, but its producers pushed the date back after claiming they needed more time to sort out a marketing campaign for the film. The official website currently offers no new release date, saying only, “coming soon”.
Another Jobs biopic – penned by The Social Network writer Aaron Sorkin – is also in production, though up to now no firm release date has been announced.
In iSteve, James Urbaniak takes on the role of Bill Gates, Michaela Watkins plays Melinda Gates, and Jorge Garcia turns up as Steve Wozniak.
You can watch iSteve on Funny or Die’s site here. Check it out and let us know what you think.
- ‘John Wick 3: Parabellum’ — here’s everything we know so far
- Welcome to the party, pal: Die Hard 6 will be titled ‘McClane’
- Drop that iPhone! Researchers suggest limiting kids’ screen time to 2 hours a day
- Bigger than Black Friday: Don’t miss the best Single’s Day deals
- Some of the best (and weirdest) ‘Stranger Things’ theories for season 3