A report at DigiTimes has Apple moving into inventory-control mode with the iPad 2, and increasing shipments of parts — specifically, the higher-resolution touch panels — for the iPad 3.
The report indicates that Apple has reduced its fourth-quarter shipments of iPad 2 panels from suppliers LG Display, Samsung, and Chimei Innolux, while increasing its order of iPad 3 panels from Samsung and Sharp. According to the report, third-quarter sales of the iPad 2 left the company with a surplus of panels, so the cut-back in orders is aimed at controlling iPad 2 inventory before the iPad 3 hits the market.
The report — which remains entirely unofficial, keep in mind — also indicates that several Taiwan-based panel manufacturers will begin shipping parts for the new iPad between now and December.
- Here are the best iPad Pro keyboard cases to pick up with your new tablet
- Need a new tablet? Check out the best iPad deals for March 2018
- Here are the 12 best deals on Apple accessories for the iPad, iPhone, and Watch
- Add style and functionality with the best iPad Pro 9.7 cases
- ‘Civilization VI’ for iPad brings the full sweep of history to your fingertips