That’s according to the companies behind the 25-year-old game, which plan to formally announce the milestone on Thursday.
Created by a Soviet programmer in 1984, Tetris rode to popularity on the Game Boy in 1989. Millions of people have continued to play it since, on gaming consoles and over the Web, as well as on mobile devices.
The game’s neat interface, simple controls and addictive nature make it especially well-suited for mobile gadgets. These include the iPhone as well as simple cell phones.
Blue Planet Software licenses Tetris to EA Mobile, a unit of video game company Electronic Arts Inc.
- ‘Tetris Effect’ Makes the Undying Classic Feel New Again
- ‘Tetris Effect’ makes the undying classic feel new again
- ‘Diablo Immortal’ is just the beginning. Mobile games are the future
- ‘Fortnite’ named Ultimate Game of the Year at the Golden Joystick awards
- What games were nominated for the The Game Awards 2018? Find out here