That’s according to the companies behind the 25-year-old game, which plan to formally announce the milestone on Thursday.
Created by a Soviet programmer in 1984, Tetris rode to popularity on the Game Boy in 1989. Millions of people have continued to play it since, on gaming consoles and over the Web, as well as on mobile devices.
The game’s neat interface, simple controls and addictive nature make it especially well-suited for mobile gadgets. These include the iPhone as well as simple cell phones.
Blue Planet Software licenses Tetris to EA Mobile, a unit of video game company Electronic Arts Inc.
- The best iPhone games currently available (October 2019)
- Asus ROG Phone 2 review: The power to change your game
- The best free FPS games you can play right now
- The best free-to-play games of 2019 will help frugal gamers survive
- The best Android apps (October 2019)