Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman is an upcoming documentary produced and directed by comedian and car enthusiast in his own right, Adam Corolla.
In the official trailer, it mentions how Paul Newman’s training and shooting for the film Winning, a film about two professional race car drivers in conflict on and off the circuit. This ignited his passion for cars and motorsport, and the rest, as they say is history.
Along with archival footage, the film contains interviews to those close to Newman speaking about what racing meant to him and how the world of motorsport was different than the often strange realm of Hollywood. A few notable interviewees are Robert Wagner, his co-star in Winning and Patrick Dempsey.
Dempsey, like Newman, has made TV and film roles secondary to the racing he participates in, including racing at the 24 hours of Le Mans, which Newman also did (and won his class).
On the racing side is retired race car driver and motorsport commentator Sam Posey. Posey has unique insight in Newman’s racing career as he was around to witness most of it from the start.
Documentaries are often passion projects and its clear that Corolla is a great admirer of Paul Newman. In fact, Corolla owns and often races five of Newman’s classic race cars. Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman will have its premiere on April 16th and the full release will be on May 22nd.
- Would you buy a performance version of the Toyota Corolla hatchback?
- Blade Runner 2049 director’s Dune reboot: Everything we know so far
- How Avengers: Infinity War’s Oscar-nominated VFX team made Thanos a movie star
- Netflix’s ‘Daredevil’ is dead, but star Charlie Cox wants Disney to resurrect it
- 11 Hollywood heavyweights who jumped from the big screen to the small screen