Jaguar is back, and it has recently been on the prowl.
With a massive improvement in sales and performance in the last several years, it looks as though Jag is going to compete with the 3 series … and go straight for the jugular.
According to Autocar, Jaguar will offer its all-new mid-size XE sports sedan with the riotous F-TYPE’s 3.0-liter V6. The supercharged V6 produces 335 horsepower and 325 pound-feet of torque. Watch out M3, it looks like the daddy Jag might not be so old and slow after all.
Alongside the 3.0, Jag will also offer an all-new line of “Ingenium” 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines under the bonnet of the XE. While surely more efficient than the blown 3.0, the Ingenium won’t be as potent.
For those who are just now learning of the XE, it’ll be similar to the larger XF, but smaller … and have four doors. Why the ‘E’ in the name? The XE is the first small sedan for the British brand since the unsuccessful X-TYPE, and it will have to prove itself as both sporty and luxurious to win over customers.
While the F-TYPE will probably be more sporting in nature, the XE is still as high-tech as its new four-cylinder engine name sounds. The XE is the first Jaguar to use an extensively aluminum chassis first show on the C-X17 Crossover Concept.
Watch out for the Jaguar XE in 2016. Although, with its extraterrestrial powerplants and high speed, you might not see it coming.
- Hitch a ride around a racetrack in Jaguar’s 592-hp XE SV Project 8
- Jaguar’s rally-ready F-Type roadster is happiest off the pavement
- Audi’s latest Formula E race car is charged up, ready to vie for the green flag
- Jaguar’s greatest sports car is getting an all-electric makeover
- Watch this driverless Range Rover tackle one of U.K.’s ‘most challenging roads’