We already have teasers for events, teasers for games and teasers for new devices, so it makes a degree of perverse sense that we should now have teasers for TV adverts. However, when they’re as good as this one, all can be forgiven.
The teaser in question comes from Volkswagen, and to understand its cultural importance, you must cast your mind back to the last Superbowl. During one of the game’s many ad breaks, VW played a particularly excellent Star Wars-themed advert for the 2012 Passat.
This was no subtle reference either, as it used not only a (mini) Darth Vader, but John Williams’ stirring Imperial March too. It was a huge success, and one of the best Superbowl commercials in some time.
It’s no surprise then, that VW want to emulate that success this year, and to prepare us for what’s coming is the advert you can see in the video below. Entitled “The Bark Side”, it contains dogs, barking and plenty of laugh-out-loud Star Wars references.
We’re not going to spoil it any further though, as it works best without too much prior knowledge. Needless to say, it’s absolutely brilliant, and the actual Superbowl commercial itself has been given a huge act to follow.
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’ is real, and it’s out in October
- Electronic Arts again ditches E3 in favor of EA Play event in June
- Cue the fireworks: ‘Overwatch’ Lunar New Year event has arrived
- The 20 best Xbox One games you can play right now