One of the more interesting Surface Pro 4 competitors has been the Eve V, a crowdsourced Windows 10 tablet that has been teased for a while now. The long development and testing cycle is finally over: Eve Technology is finally planning to begin production, with shipments starting next month.
Eve Technology started on its odyssey of letting users help design Eve V in July 2015, after deciding that its first Windows 10 tablet suffered from a lack of input. The company decided that its next
The result is the Eve V, a tablet with impressive specifications that’s similar to the Surface Pro 4 in many ways but seeks to exceed it with the latest available technologies. The Eve V is what the Surface Pro 5 could look like (if Microsoft ever gets around to releasing it).
- CPU: Intel 7th Gen Core M3/i5/i7.
- RAM: 8GB/16GB LPDDR3.
- Storage: 128/256/512GB SSD.
- Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi with 2×2 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, Wireless Display Wi-Fi.
- Ports: 1 × Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C, 1 × USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C, 2 × USB 3.1 Gen 1 USB-A, 1 × 3.5mm audio, 1 × MicroSDXC reader.
- Display: 12.3-inch IGZO LCD, 2,736×1,824 resolution, 1:1,400 contrast ratio, 450 nits brightness.
- Touch Panel: Gorilla Glass with anti-fingerprint and anti-reflection coating, Metal Mesh technology.
- Battery: 48Wh.
- Sensors: Fingerprint, Hall, Gravity, Light, Gyroscope, GPS.
- Audio: Quad speaker at 1w each, dedicated headphone jack audio amplifier by TI, two noise-canceling microphones.
- Cameras: 2MP front, 5MP rear.
- Stylus: N-trig, Surface compatible, 1,024 pressure levels, two buttons.
- Keyboard: Pogo-Pin and Wireless keyboard with backlight, latest glass ClickPad by Synaptics, Bluetooth 4.2 support for up to three devices, 15 hours of battery life.
- OS: Windows 10.
The use of seventh-generation Intel Core processors along with USB Type-C ports offers a significant advantage over the sixth-gen chips in Microsoft’s Surface Pro 4, including what Surface fans seem to hope might arrive with the next version.
According to Eve Community members, the Eve V offers similar performance compared to the Surface Pro 4 and Asus Transformer 3 Pro machines, even though it utilizes passive cooling. The Eve V performed well in a variety of tests, including Cinebench R15, PCMark 8, and CrystalDiskMark, which bodes well for the machine’s ability to keep up with the competition.
If you’ve been waiting for a viable Surface Pro 4 replacement, then the Eve V might be something to think about. If so, you can join the 4,000 or so members of the Eve Community by adding some strong social interaction to the mix.
- Need to work from the road? Here are the 5 best laptops with LTE
- The best touchscreen laptops of 2020
- The best laptops for 2020
- The best 2-in-1 laptops to buy in 2020
- The best laptops for college in 2020