Americans know they shouldn't share their passwords, but do it anyway

95 percent of Americans share at least six passwords with friends or family, even though most people acknowledge this is a bad idea.

That’s according to a LastPass survey of its users, released today in a blog post by Amber Gott that includes an infographic summarizing the findings. The vast majority of passwords, it turns out, aren’t shared online: they’re shared verbally: 74 percent of passwords were shared out loud. 15 percent were shared using pen and paper, leaving around 10 percent to be shared via texting, email, and password management services combined.

The widespread practice of sharing Netflix and HBO Now passwords makes up a chunk of this total: 48 percent of users admitted to sharing passwords for TV or movie streaming. But Wi-Fi passwords are the most shared passwords, with 58 percent of users sayings they shared a password to give guests Internet access. (The remaining 42 percent must not have a router, or friends who visit, or any idea what their Wi-Fi password is.)

But the more surprising results were passwords for financial information, which 43 percent of users share.

“Most shockingly, only 19 percent of respondents say they don’t share passwords that would jeopardize their identity or financial information,” Gott wrote in the post, “leaving 81 percent of people who would share those passwords.”

The figures include sharing passwords with spouses, which should make the total figure a little less surprising. 76 percent of users share passwords with a spouse, but only 26 percent share with their children. Surprisingly, people are more likely to share passwords with a coworker (22 percent) than a friend (16 percent), possibly because of shared accounts.

Another highlight: 58 percent of users are re-using passwords on multiple sites, something every security expert will advise against. And this is a particularly bad idea if you share passwords. Giving your Netflix password to a friend might not seem bad, but if you use the same password for your Gmail account there’s a chance they’ll sneak a peak sometime.

Even worse, 73 percent of users admit they won’t change passwords after sharing them, meaning the potential security problems will only go on.

All of us need to change our password habits up a little bit if we want any reasonable expectation of privacy. But will we do it? Generational trends suggest not. Younger people are by far the most likely to share passwords: 40 percent of people between 18 and 29 are likely to trust their friends with passwords. Meanwhile, only 15 percent of people between 30 and 44 say the same thing.

Mobile

Instagram tool accidentally exposes user passwords. Were you affected?

Instagram's Download Your Data tool accidentally exposed the passwords of a small number of users. Here is the explanation on what happened, and how to find out which Instagram accounts were compromised.
Mobile

No cash. No talking. What goes next? Welcome to your ‘app-tive’ digital life

Bank of America's 2018 Trends in Consumer Mobility Report found mobility has changed our lives. Mobile tech influences how most of us communicate, meet people, build relationships, and handle money as we move toward a cashless society.
Computing

Should you buy the affordable MacBook Air, or is the MacBook Pro worth the price?

Though they both share Retina Displays and similar keyboards, there are still some specs differences and other changes which distinguish the new 2018 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. In this guide, we stack the two up against each other.
Computing

Will Chrome remain our favorite web browser with the arrival of newest version?

Choosing a web browser for surfing the web can be tough with all the great options available. Here we pit the latest versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Edge, and Vivaldi against one another to find the best browsers for most users.
Deals

All the best Target Black Friday deals for 2018

The mega-retailer opens its doors to the most competitive shoppers at 6 p.m. on Thursday, November 22, and signs indicate that the retailer means business this year. We've sifted through all of the deals, from consumer electronics to small…
Computing

M4A is great for quality, but not for storage. Here's how to convert to MP3

Despite its remarkable ability to retain audio fidelity at a smaller size, M4a files aren't the best when it comes to compatibility. Check out our basic guide on how to convert M4a files to MP3.
Computing

Microsoft drops Surface Go price to $350 for Black Friday week

The Microsoft Surface Go convertible tablet has seen a large price drop this Black Friday sales season, lowering the base model to $350 and even the upgraded ones have seen $50 knocked off of their asking price.
Smart Home

All the best Amazon Black Friday deals for 2018

Amazon may be an online-only retailer, but that doesn’t mean its Black Friday sales are anything to sniff at. In fact, due to its online status, Amazon has huge flexibility with the range of products and deals it can offer. Here's our…
Deals

The Best Black Friday Deals from Best Buy in 2018

We've been hard at work assembling all the best Black Friday deals Best Buy offers in 2018 and putting them in one place to save you time and money this holiday season. From laptops to TVs, game consoles to smart speakers and much more…
Computing

Detangle your desk with a mighty wireless mouse. Here are our six favorites

If you're looking for the best wireless mouse on the market, we've got the list for you!. These six models have something for everyone, whether you're a hardcore gamer or simply looking to ward off carpal tunnel.
Computing

Razer takes up to $500 off of its Blade gaming laptops for Black Friday

If you're a fan of Razer's understated aesthetics that earned the Blade comparisons with Apple's laptops, you can score some big savings on Black Friday, as Razer is offering up to $500 discounts off of its gaming notebooks.
Computing

Reluctant to give your email address away? Here's how to make a disposable one

Want to sign up for a service without the risk of flooding your inbox with copious amounts of spam and unwanted email? You might want to consider using disposable email addresses via one of these handy services.
Buying Guides

Solid-state drives are speedier than hard disk drives. Are they worth it?

As the price of solid-state drives comes down, it's reached a point where it's hard to recommend a system without at least a hybrid solution. In the battle of SSD vs. HDD, a clear winner has emerged.
Computing

Service restored after glitch locks out Microsoft Office 365 business users

Microsoft reported that a problem with its system caused some users to be locked out of their accounts. Because the multifactor authentication system went down globally, some Office 365 and Azure users were unable to log in.