Like virtually every other chat app in existence, Google Hangouts makes a very distinctive sound every time you receive a message. That may be useful on mobile devices, which you’re probably not constantly looking at. However, on a desktop or laptop, which are likely already in your direct line of sight when you’re logged into Hangouts, you might find the constant noises aggravating.
Thankfully, there is a way to mute those sounds in Hangouts, but the process that involves doing so isn’t exactly straightforward. That’s why we put together this quick guide to show you how to turn down Hangouts’ volume.
How to turn off Google Hangouts chat sounds in Gmail
Step 1. Click the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of your Gmail inbox.
Step 2. Click Settings.
Step 3. Click the “Chat” tab at the top.
Step 4. In the “Sounds” section, click the bubble labeled “Sounds off.”
Step 5. Click “Save Changes.” That’s it! You’ll no longer be bothered by annoying sounds from Google Hangouts.
- You’ll be surprised how easy it is to build a website with this tool
- How to optimize Windows 11 and Windows 10 for gaming
- Best Adobe Photoshop deals for August 2022
- Top 10 Windows shortcuts everyone should know
- How to use Mac’s VoiceOver screen reader