Like virtually every other chat app in existence, Google Hangouts makes a very distinctive sound every time you receive a message. That may be useful on mobile devices, which you’re probably not constantly looking at. However, on a desktop or laptop, which are likely already in your direct line of sight when you’re logged into Hangouts, you might find the constant noises aggravating.
Thankfully, there is a way to mute those sounds in Hangouts, but the process that involves doing so isn’t exactly straightforward. That’s why we put together this quick guide to show you how to turn down Hangouts’ volume.
How to turn off Google Hangouts chat sounds in Gmail
Step 1. Click the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of your Gmail inbox.
Step 2. Click Settings.
Step 3. Click the “Chat” tab at the top.
Step 4. In the “Sounds” section, click the bubble labeled “Sounds off.”
Step 5. Click “Save Changes.” That’s it! You’ll no longer be bothered by annoying sounds from Google Hangouts.
- The SuperStraps backpack booster takes the pressure off
- What is the ‘Soap Opera Effect’ in TV and how to turn it off
- Here’s how to turn off subtitles on Netflix, no matter your chosen device
- How Alexa or Google Home can help you pull off a memorable Valentine’s Day
- Avoid that surprise big bill! Here’s how to turn off in-app purchases