Here’s how to change your Gmail password, whether you use the desktop website or the Gmail Android app.
Step 1: Sign in to your Google account
Head to the Google Account page and click the blue Go to Google Account button in the top right-hand corner.
Input your login details as requested and, if needed, verify your identity using two-factor authentication.
Step 2: Open your security settings
Click on the Security tab and you’ll be presented with a number of options. Scroll down until you find the section labeled Signing In to Google.
Step 3: Change your password
Find the section titled Password. It will tell you when you last changed it. Click on Password and when prompted, input your password again to confirm your identity. You’ll then be asked to input a new password. Make sure it’s complicated, with a mix of numbers, letters, capital letters, and special characters. If you’re worried about forgetting it, use a password manager.
After verifying the new password you’ve chosen, click on the blue Change Password button to finalize the process. You can now rest assured that your account is completely protected. While you’re at it, you should also ensure that all other safety measures are in order, including features like two-step verification or password recovery.
Changing your password with the Gmail Android app
You will have to employ an equally simple albeit slightly different protocol to change passwords on android devices.
After you open your Gmail application:
- Click on the three-line menu icon located on the top left-hand cover.
- Select Settings from the bottom of the menu and then choose the account you want to change.
- Click Manage Your Google Account, followed by the Menu button and then Security. You can also scroll across the top menu and click on the same option.
- Enter your current password into the Password field, then enter your new password. Make sure your new one is very secure before confirming it. Finally, tap on Change Password to complete the process.
Changing your password is so user-friendly, you can and should do it often. After all, regularly changing your password is the best way to avoid scams and security breaches.
Don’t make the mistake of sticking with the same passwords for too long. Navigate your Gmail settings often to keep your password up-to-date, and that’s one less online hazard that will plague your existence.
- The best password managers for 2021
- How to wipe your Android phone or tablet properly
- How to change your Outlook password
- Fight temptation and protect your Android against in-app purchases
- Here’s how to easily log in to multiple Gmail accounts at once