From LGE’s press release:
LGE has just unveiled a TV refrigerator– a TV and refrigerator combined―in Europe following its launch in USA. This is in line with LGE’s efforts at putting forth visions for home networking appliances such as Internet refrigerators and Internet air conditioners.
A consumer research on housewives in advanced markets reveals that they spend most of their time in the kitchen and want to use the kitchen as a space for hobbies, entertainment, and leisure– more than just a cooking area. Taking the cue from this finding, LGE developed a TV refrigerator that meets these requirements.
The model for the US market features a 21-cu. ft capacity (686 liter) refrigerator that is combined with a 13-inch TFT-LCD monitor TV with 450-candela brightness and 120-degree angle view, as well as radio function. Sporting an aesthetically appealing design and a titanium decoration, the product boasts of an elegant look, thereby having the capacity to upgrade one’s kitchen. It also saves space.
Equipped with the multi-aperture flow cooling system, the TV refrigerator completely shuts off heat from the TV so this will not transfer to the refrigerator. It also steps up the antibacterial feature of the unit, using nano particles of silver that promote â€œwellnessâ€.
The effectiveness of this antibacterial features, called Bio silver and Bio shield, have been confirmed by international public accreditation agencies, such as the U.S. FDA and EPA, the ISO, and Japan’s SIAA.
Moon B. Shin, vice president of overseas sales & marketing of LGE, said, â€œThe TV refrigerator allows housewives to enjoy music, movies, satellite broadcasting, and cable TV in the kitchen, enhancing their pleasure and convenience. For instance, housewives can order food and kitchen items from home shopping channels and also cook dishes while watching cooking shows.â€He went on to say, â€œYou may wonder about the price. The product is more expensive than buying a refrigerator and a 13-inch LCD TV separately. Nonetheless, I am confident that consumers will choose the TV refrigerator because they will be proud of owning this innovative product.â€
This, along with other LGE premium appliances, such as its environment-friendly linear refrigerators and French-door refrigerators, is the product of the company’s attempts at manufacturing high-end home appliances.
1) Multi-aperture Flow Cooling is a built-in system in the TV of the TV refrigerator. The system functions to perfectly diffuse the heat generated by the TV into the air.
2) Bio silver and Bio shield, with nano-size silver particles, coat the interior of the refrigerator (Bio silver) and the gasket (Bio shield) of the refrigerator, thus perfectly preventing the intrusion of bacteria from outside. These two technologies, Bio silver and Bio shield, have been accredited by public accreditation agencies such as the U.S. FDA and EPA, the ISO, and Japan’s SIAA.
3) A nano-carbon deodorizing feature, Carbon Nano Ball, has also been applied to the TV Refrigerator to eliminate odors from the refrigerator. Carbon Nano Ball is a kit, filled with nano-size carbon particles, which has been attached to the interior of the refrigerator, allowing these carbon particles to absorb odor particles.
What is the philosophy of the product? What can the product offer to its customers?
Regarding the background of the product, there are two things that have to be mentioned and explained. One is digital technology-supported convergence, and the other is a new trend in home appliances. First, the home appliance market has been around for a long time. This market, given its nature, enjoys a steady demand. In particular, the people’s demand for affluent and comfortable spaces at home has been increasing recently.
The kitchen is fast becoming the family room for today’s consumers and dinner is the only meal that the whole family tends to spend together. Thus, a kitchen is becoming more than a place for meals. Also, new home appliances markets are now being created to fit the sensuous lifestyle.
This gives a fresh boost to the home appliances industry. Convergence is the other key word in explaining the philosophy of the product. It is a word that is probably best known in the consumer electronics industry, where the line between PC, TV, home entertainment electronics, and home appliances is not clearly drawn. However, the market has yet to grow at a faster rate.
In addition, the infrastructure that is necessary for market maturity has yet to be built completely. LG’s DAC has long accumulated the technologies and know-how for the home networking business. Actually, we have completed the technological preparation. We are only waiting for the necessary market maturity, and for the establishment of Internet and IT infrastructures by the country. To boost our leadership in sophisticated digital technologies, LG’s DAC, in 2001, launched Internet-related products in many countries around the world, such as the United Kingdom, Mexico, Spain, Australia, and the United States, thus presenting blueprints for futuristic home appliances to customers. The TV refrigerator is only the first of our projects aimed at launching new products for this potential network market. The product actually drew much attention from consumers and the press in the International Home Builders Show (IBS) that was held in Las Vegas in January this year.
- Electrolux develops the first fridge made with recycled plastic
- LG’s SmartThinQ appliances cook up support for both Alexa and Google Assistant
- The best mini fridges money can buy right now
- Awesome Tech You Can’t Buy Yet: Haptic bass straps, musical rings, and more
- Sharp’s new countertop cooker uses superheated steam