The OQO, by the company of the same name, is an ultra personal computer (uPC) that is due in the Fall of 2004. It is a fully functional Windows XP computer that is small enough to fit in your pocket, and as powerful as many laptops.
According to the company, the OQO computer is the “much-anticipated mobility solution for people who until now had to choose between the bulk and awkwardness of a laptop and the limited capability of a PDA.”
The OQO features a 5″ 800 x 480 W-VGA display and a QWERTY keyboard.
At 14 ounces and measuring 4.9″ x 3.4″ x 9″, the OQO is highly portable yet highly capable. It features a 1GHz Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 series processor, a 20GB hard drive, and 256MB of DDR RAM. The OQO will also have integrated 802.11b, Bluetooth, Firewire, USB 1.1 an audio jack, and several other common PC components.
Standalone, the OQO is as portable as a PDA. With the docking cable, it is no different than a laptop in its ability to connect to projectors and Ethernet networks. In the desktop stand with the docking cable, it is a desktop computer. As a Windows PC, the OQO computer moves seamlessly from one mode to the other with no synchronizing.
The OQO can be used with a stylus on the screen and you can slide the screen up to reveal the keyboard.
The OQO computer offers Microsoft Windows XP in a pocketable form factor. Instead of lugging a laptop around or accepting a subset of your data on a PDA, you can take all of your files and applications with you. It is fully compatible with all standard Windows applications. No porting or data synchronization is ever necessary. The OQO also supports a full range of PC peripherals. Printers, scanners, digital cameras, external hard disks, optical drives, keyboards, mice, and PC card and Compact Flash readers, among others, can be connected via USB, FireWire or Bluetooth.
No prices have been announced yet. Visit http://www.oqo.com/ for more information.
The OQO can be used as a workstation by connecting it to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
- 1GHz Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 series processor
- 20GB hard drive (shock-mounted)
- 256MB DDR RAM
- Dimensions: 4.9″ x 3.4″ x .9″
- Weight: 14 ounces
- 800 x 480 W-VGA 5″ transflective display (indoor / outdoor readable)
- Thumb keyboard with mouse buttons and TrackStik
- 802.11b wireless
- 4-pin FireWire (1394)
- USB 1.1
- 3.5mm stereo headphone jack (supports stereo headphone or mono headset plus optional multimedia controller)
- Digital pen
- Removable lithium polymer battery
- Battery life 2-6 hours, depending on usage
OQO docking cable includes:
- 3D accelerated 1280×1024 VGA video output
- Additional USB
- Additional FireWire (1394)
- DC power
- Audio out
- External antenna connector for 802.11b
- Active HDD protection instantly parks hard drive upon detecting freefall
- Thumbwheel allows for traditional scrolling as well as enhanced features
- Screen slides on rack and pinion mechanism to reveal thumb-style keyboard
- Keyboard has smart-lock with LED indicators on shift, control, function and alt keys
- Ambient light sensor automatically adjusts backlight to appropriate level
- Power cord & AC adaptor
- Docking cable
- Desktop stand
- Digital pen
- Carrying sleeve