Tûranor PlanetSolar, also known simply as PlanetSolar is a luxury yacht powered entirely through solar energy, interestingly, the name Tûranor derives from J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel the Lord of The Rings and translates to “Power of the Sun”. The boat launched on March 31, 2010, was designed by Knierim Yachbau in Kiel, Germany and designed by LOMOcean Design.
While already breaking a few world records, the Tûranor PlanetSolar will become the first boat to circumnavigate the world on solar power alone, the boat is covered in 500 square meters of solar panels which connect to one of two electric motors. The hull capacity sits at 200 persons and due to the aerodynamic design of the vessel, the yacht is capable of reaching speeds of up to 14 knots. The 31 meter long, $18 million to develop boat has ultimately been designed to be used as a luxury yacht once it completes is grand and record breaking journey across the globe.
- Who made my car? A comprehensive guide to today’s car conglomerates
- Garmin’s Quatix 6X uses transparent solar panel to hit 24 days of battery life
- How do solar panels work? Should you buy them?
- Civilization VI: All 42 leaders and cultures
- NASA wants to build a steam-powered hopping robot to explore icy worlds