“With the launch of Virgin Digital, Branson joins a crowded marketplace that is currently dominated by Apple’s iTunes Music Store. iTunes hold a solid 70 percent share of the market with the remainder divided up among of a crowded field composed of RealNetworks Rhapsody, America Online’s MusicNet, Microsoft’s MSN Music Store, Roxio’s legalized Napster service, Yahoo’s MusicMatch and retail giant Wal-Mart.
The Virgin Digital service features music downloads, a music club subscription service, streaming radio, support for over fifty portable music devices, and new music discovery options that are a throw back to the days of the all-knowing record store veteran. “
Virgin probably will not be a significant threat here in the United States, but will probably gain market share in Europe where they have stronger sales of their other product lines. Only time will tell.
- These are the best ‘Made for Samsung’ apps for your Galaxy phone
- Apple Music vs. Spotify: Which service is the streaming king?
- ‘Cast’ like a boss with our list of the best Chromecast apps
- Escape reality with the best augmented reality apps for Android and iOS
- How to download podcasts and listen to them on Android or iOS