Buying refurbished gadgets can be tricky for the inexperienced consumer. On the one hand, refurbs are a great way to save money. However, if you’re buying online — as most of us tend to do these days — you may not always know what condition your refurb gadget may be in.
Fortunately, Apple is widely considered the king of refurbished tech. Whereas other manufacturers back their refurbished gadgets with only a 30- or 90-day warranty, Apple backs its refurbished gadgets with a full 1-year warranty.
Below we’ve rounded up some of Apple’s best refurbished iPad deals, each backed by a 1-year warranty.
Refurbished iPads on sale for $40 – $120 off):
- iPad Mini 2 ($40 off): It may be three years old, but the iPad Mini 2 is one of the most durable tablets you’ll find. Despite running on Apple’s older A7 CPU, it’s still capable of running iOS 10 without missing a beat. It also boasts the same 7.9-inch Retina 2,048 x 1,536-pixel screen as the newer iPad Mini 4. If Touch ID, Apple Pay integration, and the newer 8-megapixel camera aren’t of importance to you, the iPad Mini 2 is your tablet. Apple offers the refurb iPad Mini 2 in 16GB ($209) through 128GB ($459) capacities.
- iPad Mini 4 ($60 off): At its full $399 price tag, the iPad Mini 4 can be a tough pill to swallow because previous iPad Mini models — and even competing tablets from Samsung and Dell — perform just as well at much lower price points. However, at $319 (16GB) the iPad Mini 4 is a little easier on the wallet. Although Apple ceased production of the 16GB model, you can pick up this $319 tablet via its refurb program, making it the cheapest iPad Mini 4 you’ll find. It packs Apple’s newer A8 CPU — though keep in mind the Air 2 has a faster A8X CPU — and support for Apple Pay and Touch ID. It’s the best miniature iPad you can buy if you require the extra features the iPad Mini 2 doesn’t offer. Apple offers the refurb iPad Mini 4 in 16GB ($319) through 128GB ($529) capacities.
- iPad Air 2 ($60 off): The iPad Air 2 is no longer Apple’s flagship tablet. So whereas the new iPad Pro packs Apple’s top-of-the-line A9 CPU, the iPad Air 2 has the A8X chip, which in our review makes the iPad Air 2 more of a Thor than a Hulk. Nevertheless, the iPad Air 2 still kicks tablet ass. It has a gorgeous 9.7-inch Retina 2,048 x 1,536-pixel screen, Touch ID support, and can record 1080p video at 30 fps. Apple offers the refurb iPad Air 2 in 16GB ($319) through 128GB ($529) capacities.
- iPad Pro ($120 off): Apple’s iPad Pro is the tablet you’ve always wanted. Designed for users who don’t need or want a full-fledged PC, this 12.9-inch tablet may sound unnecessarily big, but it’s enjoyable to use and natural to hold after just minutes with it. Of course, its main selling point is a massive 2,732 x 2,048-pixel screen, which makes everything from games to Netflix marathons come to life. Apple’s tablet also packs Cupertino’s latest A9X CPU and 4GB of RAM, which combined will make you forget you’re using a tablet. Apple has the refurb iPad Pro 12.9-inch in 32GB ($679) though 128GB ($869) capacities.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- Need a new tablet? Here are the best iPad deals for April 2019
- How to choose an iPad in 2019: A practical guide to Apple’s tablets
- Amazon hacks $79 off the price of the newest 2018 Apple iPad
- Mac Mini and MacBook Air 2018 hit Apple refurbished store in U.S.
- Apple drops $100 off the price of the refurbished iPhone 7 Plus