Despite the somewhat definitive ending players were treated to in Gears of War 3, Epic Games is planning on debuting the next entry in the Gears of War franchise. Game Informer will have more news on the title when its next issue is released, but the true reveal will come at Microsoft’s E3 press conference this coming Monday.
Beyond the image, little to nothing is known about the next Gears game other than it will be released for the Xbox 360, but we can make a few guesses. Fans of the series will remember that the first Gears began with franchise protagonist Marcus Fenix languishing in jail. The story of how he ended up there has been explained, but only lightly explored in the trilogy.
It seems possible, even likely, that the shadowy figure in the image is Fenix, which could signify that the game will be a prequel and focus on the events that landed him in jail. It makes sense. The series reached a climax and a conclusion, plus prequels are growing more and more common—just look at God of War: Ascension among others.
We won’t know anything for certain until Monday, but that shouldn’t stop us from speculating! So sound off below and let us know what you would like to see from the next Gears of War!
- ‘Avengers: Infinity War’: Everything we know so far
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- Everything we know about ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’
- Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ prequel series might cost more than $1 billion
- From ‘Anthem’ to ‘Smash Bros. on Switch,’ here are the games coming to E3 2018