Having not claimed enough hearts and minds with the lovable and addictive Angry Birds series on its own, Rovio is setting its sights on Star Wars fans. They may have panned Angry Birds Space as “not the game they were looking for,” but there is no Jedi mind trick stronger than shamelessly slapping Star Wars branding on things. From the looks of a teaser image tweeted from the official @AngryBirds account earlier today, that’s exactly what is happening.
Almost immediately following the tweet, an official Angry Birds tumblr page–confirmed on Twitter–appeared. The first and only post sported an animated version of the previous teaser with a less-than-cryptic message attached. Below the image was the text, “Times Square, New York, October 8th, 10am EST,” accompanied by, “HINT: Head to Toys R Us at 8am EST!”
Considering apps and games get digital releases that don’t require physical attendance to experience, it’s likely that this partnership between Rovio and LucasArts will be some sort of board game or collectable toy. A tie-in game wouldn’t be shocking of course. Considering the popularity of Angry Birds titles without grabbing at the audience of other popular series’, it’d be a hit no matter what.
- The best new movie trailers: ‘Avengers,’ ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ and more
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: News, trailers, and everything we know so far
- Report: ‘Battlefield V’ will only have cosmetic microtransactions
- Abode Systems wants to make home security more affordable for everyone
- The 20 best Xbox One games you can play right now