The demonstration features a range of exclusive and original programming including games, music, movies, television, and radio, as well as “AIM Talk,” an application that allows PS2 owners with aheadset to communicate using AOL(r) Instant Messenger(tm) on either the PlayStation 2 or on a PC. Building upon an existing relationship between AOL and Sony, the demonstration will show thecapabilities present in the internal hard disk drive (40GB) for the PlayStation 2.
Matthew Bromberg, VP and General Manager of AOL Games, remarked, “Together with Electronic Arts, we already provide the leading web-based playable games offerings to AOL Members. Today, we’re beginning the process of extending our offerings to new platforms to help redefine how entertainment, communication, and gaming can come together in completely new ways.”
Amidst the full broadband entertainment offering available, of particular note is some original game programming that represents a new approach for AOL Games. The first installment of the “AOL Players Club” features in-game footage of AOL members executing their best moves in Sony’s Computer Entertainment America “The Getaway,” complete with music and voice-over commentary. The program is the first of many to come from a joint production deal that AOL signed today with g-NET, a pioneer in the creation of broadband programming for the gaming audience. AOL’s original games programming continues the momentum established by existing programming franchises like First Play which offers exclusive premieres of the most anticipated video game demos, and Inside the Game, which features exclusive access to music, video, photos and cheat codes from today’s hottest new game releases.
The AOL Entertainment programming that will be showcased in the demo includes:
* Music – Innovative programming from the leading online music destination such as First Listen and First View, which feature exclusive premieres from today’s top artists; Sessions@AOL, which offers exclusive in-studio performances and interviews as well as the best live performances from Broadband Rocks!
* Radio – CD-quality sound broadband radio with Radio@AOL, including Celebrity DJ and themed radio stations featuring a play list chosen by popular artists, exclusive live performances, biographical pieces and interview segments.
* Movies – Exclusive scenes from highly anticipated movies with First Look.
* Television – Reaction to top reality TV shows with The Morning After as well as First Watch, which features exclusive clips from TV shows.
* Games – Original and exclusive broadband programming, including the first installment of the “AOL Players Club,” created in collaboration with g-NET.
The demonstration will be available at the SCEA’s booth at the E3 Conference in Los Angeles from May 14-16.
AOL Games provides programming and promotions for online, PC and console games for all AOL members and game fans on the Web, with a focus on creating enhanced high-speed exclusives for AOL Broadband members.