Blink while playing one of the best city-building games, and you’ll lose countless hours expanding your city, refining your infrastructure, and focusing your trade. Every game on our list represents hundreds of hours of simulation gameplay, regardless of if you want to build a modern metropolis, conquer strange Viking lands, or terraform the Red Planet.
Although city-building games usually carry a steep learning curve and tons of content, beginners can dive into any option on our list and have a good time. We have a mix of hardcore survival experiences like Frostpunk and minimalist builders like Islanders, so there’s something for everyone.
- The PS5 games with the best graphics
- The best Metroid games, ranked
- Best Alienware deals for September 2022
- Best gaming PC deals: Get a new desktop rig from $530 today
- Hellblade developer Ninja Theory confirms it won’t replace voice actors with AI