The practice of publicly attacking a political opponent in order to make yourself and your colleagues look superior by comparison is as old as politics themselves. You need look no further than your own television to see Mitt Romney and Barack Obama trading barbs on topics like healthcare reform, education and the general state of our modern economy. However, Republicans in Maine have found a new vector of ad hominem assault in the world of massively multiplayer online roleplaying games.
Colleen Lachowicz is a Democrat currently running for a seat in Maine’s state senate. Her official site portrays her as a fiscally conservative liberal who believes in “the right of equal access to marriage for everyone” as well as reducing Maine’s dependence on government organizations to create jobs in the currently turbulent economy. Honestly she seems pretty moderate, despite the “D” affixed to her name, so in an effort to discredit her in any way possible, the Maine Republican Party has launched a website dubbed “Colleen’s World” that cherrypicks out of context quotes taken from Lachowicz’ online existence to paint her as some kind of morally reprehensible monster. Most crucially, given that we’re paid to write about games, the Republicans seem particularly fond of things Lachowicz has written online about her experience playing an Orc rogue in Blizzard’s wildly successful World Of Warcraft.
The Republicans even went so far as to issue a press release (and flyers akin to the image seen above) collecting the highlights of the baffling smear campaign. While we’re not about to reprint the release verbatim, we will share with you a few choice quotations that the Republicans seem particularly fond of:
- So I’m a level 68 orc rogue girl. That means I stab things . . . a lot. Who would have thought that a peace-lovin’, social worker and democrat would enjoy that?!
- I like to stab things and I’m originally from NJ…. what’s your f***ing point?!
- Yes, join us! We’re progressive… in fact we joke about being a socialist guild.
In fairness, some of the highlights collected by the Republicans are actually politically relevant:
- Now if you’ll excuse me, I may have to go and hunt down Grover Norquist and drown him in my bath tub.
- Or my dream from election season last year where John McCain sat at my childhood dining room table and I reamed him a new a**hole about Sarah Palin.
- The United States has a colossal e-waste problem. This is why
- Apple rejects U.S. Attorney General request to unlock another phone
- The best free MMORPGs
- Best PC Games
- We all live in a media bubble. This app wants to burst it