While it might sound like a sweet deal to trade in your withered and creaky old arm for a shiny new one that can punch through walls and possibly stab people, make sure you read the fine print. In this new live action trailer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the focus is not on the gameplay or even the plot, but rather the consequences attached to human augmentation.
Told form the point of view of the Purity First protest group, the video is a disturbing and intense look at a very real possibility for the future. In the game, you play Adam Jensen, a private security agent for a leading augmentation company called Sarif Industries, that is wounded in an attack that costs him his wife and several body parts. But in the future, being careless about where you leave your limbs isn’t all that big of a deal, and it can even make you a superhero of sorts. But there is always a price.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a highlight of E3, with its combination of FPS gameplay and RPG elements set against a futuristic world. It is set to debut for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on August 23.
- Watch this lab-grown heart tissue beat just like the real thing
- ‘Minimal Turing Test’ asks humans to prove they’re human with only one word
- Google’s updated Recaptcha deters bots without imposing verification tasks
- Computers will soon outsmart us. Does that make an A.I. rebellion inevitable?
- JackRabbot 2 is Stanford’s friendly new campus-roaming social robot