Dwayne. Johnson. Is. Hercules! He says so right there in the trailer. The actor formerly known as the Rock stars in Brett Ratner’s Hercules, due in theaters later this summer. In preparation for the film, Paramount and MGM have released the first trailer giving us a hint at what to expect.
This version of Hercules is not to be confused with The Legend of Hercules starring Kellan Lutz (the X-Men and Twilight films), which was released in January 2014. Judging by that film’s weak box office showing, that won’t be an issue though. The 3-percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes probably won’t help much either.
Johnson’s Hercules also stars Rufus Sewell, Ian McShane, and John Hurt, and is based on the comics of the same name by Steve Moore, with art by Cris Bolsin. The story in the comics follows Hercules as he trains the Thracian army, and the film will borrow heavily from that. Originally, the film was known as Hercules: The Thracian Wars.
Hercules hits theaters on July 25, 2014.
- ‘Venom’ movie: Everything you need to know
- M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Glass’: Everything we know so far
- ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’: Everything we know about the Queen biopic
- Full-frame mirrorless cameras just made their Hollywood debut with this thriller
- Second time around: 13 movie sequels as good, or better, than the originals