The idea is simple: You have bugs that want to destroy humanity, so you destroy them first. That’s Earth Defense Force 2025. There are no complicated subplots involving political ideologies battling to reshape the future of humanity. There is no metaphysical twist involving alternate realities and predestination. There are bugs that need a-killin’, and you are the person to do it.
The series has been around since June 2003, when the first game was released under the name Monster Attack. More than a decade later, the bugacolypse is still going strong, and the sixth game in the series is about to be released in the West.
Earth Defense force 2025 was originally released in Japan on July 4, 2013, and now comes to the U.S. and Europe on February 4. The game will be coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and we have some screenshots to show you what to expect. Spoiler alert: Bugs. Giant ones.
- The 20 best Xbox One games you can play right now
- You shall not pay: ‘Middle-earth: Shadow of War’ removes all microtransactions
- U.S. military is developing a sound weapon that sounds like a retro modem
- Konami says ‘Metal Gear Solid V’ nuclear event was triggered by mistake
- Get your pickaxe ready: The next MineCon Earth show streams in September