The idea is simple: You have bugs that want to destroy humanity, so you destroy them first. That’s Earth Defense Force 2025. There are no complicated subplots involving political ideologies battling to reshape the future of humanity. There is no metaphysical twist involving alternate realities and predestination. There are bugs that need a-killin’, and you are the person to do it.
The series has been around since June 2003, when the first game was released under the name Monster Attack. More than a decade later, the bugacolypse is still going strong, and the sixth game in the series is about to be released in the West.
Earth Defense force 2025 was originally released in Japan on July 4, 2013, and now comes to the U.S. and Europe on February 4. The game will be coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and we have some screenshots to show you what to expect. Spoiler alert: Bugs. Giant ones.
- This hydrogen-powered Chevrolet Silverado looks like it’s straight out of Halo
- Beautiful space station time-lapse takes us on a tour of the world
- NASA’s planet hunter satellite gets first hit in its search for another Earth
- Get your Sagan on with 60 awe-inspiring photos of the final frontier
- Everything we know about ‘Battlefield V’