EA announced Thursday that its FIFA franchise has sold over 100 million units since its introduction 18 years ago. Much of the thanks is due to its latest release of FIFA Soccer 11, so widely popular that it sold over 2.6 million copies its first week on the market and has gone on to be the fastest selling sports videogame in history. FIFA Soccer 11 has some pretty prestigious company to keep, and resides among Mario, Pokemon, Tetris, The Sims, and Need for Speed.
With everyone still recovering from World Cup fever and soccer’s global popularity, it shouldn’t come as an enormous surprise that FIFA has far outsold EA Sport’s other videogame franchises.
In a press release, vice president of football for EA Sports (his real title), Matt Bilbey thanked fans, saying, “Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100 million units mark and we have millions of fans around the world to thank for helping us to this milstone.”
EA also announced the release of the FIFA 11 Ultimate Team DLC pack, available today for free to Xbox 360 and PS3 users.
So what game will be next to join the club? Final Fantasy is edging closer with 97 million units sold.
- ‘Darksiders III’ publisher THQ Nordic is skipping E3 to watch the FIFA World Cup
- Hublot Big Bang Referee hands-on review
- Soccer giant Manchester United finally gets its own YouTube channel
- From ‘Anthem’ to ‘Smash Bros. on Switch,’ here are the games coming to E3 2018
- You can preregister for EA Play tickets right now (and they’re free!)