Fallout 4 players on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be able to build and add mods to their games in the next couple of months, Bethesda Softworks announced Thursday. The developer announced that its open source Creation Kit modding tools and curation system, which will be used to add mods to console save files, will go live on Xbox One in May, and PlayStation 4 in June.
The Creation Kit, a version of the same software Bethesda used to make Fallout 4, will be integrated directly into the game, in the hopes of making it easier to add, remove, and share mods. The tools will allow players to make weapons, environments, and creatures. They will also be able to create quests and write dialogue.
Originally announced when the game was unveiled at E3 2015, Bethesda said in February that its official mod creation tools would be available on PC this month, and that consoles would see mod support shortly after. As Fallout 4 director Todd Howard explained in past interviews, console mods will be more restricted on the PC: Game-breaking bugs will not be allowed on Creation Kit; neither will nudity or any mod with assets made for another game.
PC Players can actually access and browse mods on the service during its open beta, which begins today. PC-based vault dwellers can download the beta through the Bethesda launcher, or by selecting it from the betas menu on the Fallout 4 Steam page. Bethesda wrote some more specific instructions on how to find it:
- Log into Steam
- Right Click on Fallout 4 in your Library
- Select Properties
- Select Betas
- A drop down menu will appear. Select beta
- Wait a few minutes and Fallout 4 should update
- When done, Fallout 4 should appear as Fallout 4 [Beta] in your Library
- Next PS4 system update adds new parental controls and custom wallpapers
- Xbox One S vs. PlayStation 4 ‘Slim’: Which console is worth your money?
- The best demos, betas, and free-to-play games you can try this weekend
- 5 Tips for saving battery life in your PlayStation 4 controller
- Xbox One X vs. PlayStation 4 Pro: Clash of the Titans