Atari has announced a revival of its 1979 arcade shooter classic, Asteroids. Developed by Salty Games, Asteroids: Outpost is coming soon to Steam early access on unspecified PC platforms.
Building on the original game’s straight forward, asteroid-blasting action, Outpost incorporates it into a larger framework of open world, sandbox survival. You are a space prospector, exploring a dangerous asteroid field in order to collect materials, craft tools, build a base, and defend it. You have to contend with both the natural hazards in the unforgiving void of space and the schemes of other players, vying to control the most valuable territory.
“We’re paying homage to the original Asteroids by incorporating classic features such as asteroid blasting capabilities, while introducing a completely new premise and gameplay,” said Atari CEO Fred Chesnais. “Asteroids: Outpost will appeal to both fans of the classic Asteroids as well as enthusiasts of immersive survival games and expansive MMOs.”
Developer Salty Games is a new, Los Angeles-based studio composed of AAA veterans who have worked on major franchises like Call of Duty. It is owned by the Arktos Entertainment Group, which also purchased Hammerpoint Interactive, developer of Infestation: Survivor Stories (formerly The War Z).
- Space, the final frontier. These are the most astronomical achievements of 2018
- The history of Battle Royale: From mod to worldwide phenomenon
- The best Xbox One games you can get right now
- Here’s everything we know about ‘Far Cry New Dawn’ so far
- First images of the Bennu asteroid sent by NASA’s OSIRIS-REx Spacecraft