As it turns out, he’s been getting back into making YouTube videos, and we can now watch the first one.
Kojima released the first episode of his new web series, HideoTube, on Kojima Productions’ YouTube channel Thursday. The series seems to be a follow-up to the “Kojima Station” series he started when Kojima Productions was part of Konami. Though the episode sports a numbered title, implying there will be a more episodes inbound, Kojima confirmed that he plans to post “regular updates” on YouTube, though he said there was no formal schedule yet.
In the first episode, Kojima and Kenji Yano from Japanese publisher Kadokawa Shoten list and discuss their top ten favorite movies of 2015. Kojima said he watched 90 new films in 2015. Yano said he had seen 100. Yet, despite having a lot of material to draw from, many of Kojima’s picks were incredibly popular western films from the last two years. Note that some of Kojima’s picks, such as Nightcrawler and Whiplash, hit western theaters in 2014, but were not released in Japan until 2015.
Here are Kojima’s fave films of 2015.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Fires on the Plain
- Straight Outta Compton
- The Intern
- Shaun the Sheep Movie
- Kingsman: The Secret Service
- Mad Max: Fury Road
Unfortunately for western fans, the video only features captions for the first 10 minutes of the show. In the description, Kojima Production requested that fan published videos translated for international fans. Hopefully, there will be a fan localization infrastructure up and running by the time Kojima releases episode two.
- Stranger Things season 4: Here’s everything we know so far
- The best horror games of all time
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Everything we know about the Disney+ series
- The Mandalorian season 2: Everything we know about the Disney+ series’ return
- The best new shows to stream on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more