Worlds will collide in Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, a new role-playing game (RPG) coming to the 3DS, Nintendo announced during its E3 event. Paper Jam appears to involve the characters from the Mario & Luigi RPG series and Paper Mario coming together to battle a common enemy. In keeping with Mario RPG tradition, characters have unique abilities that you will need to progress through challenges. The footage shown featured the player controlling both normal and paper versions of Mario and Luigi at the same time, and using paper crafting to build a giant Mario robot.
So far, both the Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario series have had four titles each. Nintendo has been combining the Mario franchise with RPG elements since 1996, when they released Super Mario RPG for the Super Nintendo.
Paper Jam is slated for release in Spring 2016.
- Nintendo and ‘Minions’ studio partner up for a Mario movie
- ‘Mario Kart Tour’ will reportedly be ‘free-to-start’ like ‘Super Mario Run’
- Shigeru Miyamoto sets a high bar for possible Super Mario movie
- Blue shell your commute: Mario Kart temporarily races onto Google Maps
- Rev up your smartphones: ‘Mario Kart Tour’ is coming to iOS and Android