The first big gaming showcase of June is here, and it gave us a look at what’s next for games made for the Meta Quest family of VR headsets. It was an important showcase too, as the Meta Quest Pro came out last year to very muted results, the idea of the metaverse is fading in its relevancy, and the Meta Quest 3 headset is going to release this fall. During this showcase, Meta tried t reaffirm why people should care about owning one of its VR headsets.
It did so mainly by revealing VR follow-ups to popular IP. Games like Samba de Amigo, The 7th Guest, and Bulletstorm are being remade in VR. Meanwhile, well-known IP like Stranger Things, Attack on Titan, and Assassin’s Creed are also making the jump to virtual reality as well, and as sequel to Asgard’s Wrath is in the works. A lot was revealed during the preshow and actual showcase, so rounded up everything that was revealed for you right here.
Sega’s Samba de Amigo revival comes out for Switch in August, but it’s also getting a VR version of Meta Quest headsets. Samba de Amigo: Party Central’s rhythm game experience seems to adapt surprisingly well to virtual reality, with players using the Meta Quest controllers to shake their maracas and strike poses. Samba de Amigo releases for Meta Quest 2 sometime this Fall and is available for pre-order on the Meta Quest Store now.
The 7th Guest was an iconic early PC game that helped spearhead the popularity of CD-ROMs and left a clear mark on the adventure game genre. Now, Vertigo Games is remaking The 7th Guest in VR, with exploring the house as a virtual space replacing the interactive movie feel of the original. The 7th Guest will be released for Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest Pro later this year.
We also got our first extended look at Stranger Things VR during the show. We see what it’s like to take the role of Vecna, the villain of the Netflix show’s final two seasons, as he explores the Upside Down and tries to make his way into and corrupt Hawkins. It should give us a better idea of how exactly Vecna orchestrated the events of Stranger Things’ first three seasons and reveal more of his backstory at both the Hawkins Lab and when he was banished to Upside Down by Eleven. Stranger Things VR is slated to release this fall for Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro and should tide fans over until Season 5, which has been delayed due to the writer’s strike.
One of the most surprising announcements from the show was that Bulletstorm is coming back as a VR game. People Can Fly, the developers of the original frantic 2011 shooter, are working with Green Hill VR developer Incuvo to adapt the PC and console FPS to VR. Like Resident Evil 4 before it, this is a classic, albeit a cult classic, that players will be able to experience from a new perspective in VR. It will be released for Meta Quest 2, 3, and Pro later this year.
As the final reveal of the show, Sanzaru Games Asgard’s Wrath 2, a sequel to one of the most critically acclaimed VR games. Its announcement trailer featured a heavy dose of gameplay, highlighting its intense combat, some puzzles, massive boss fights, and new Eygpt environment. An extended gameplay look following its reveal trailer went into even more detail, showing the new mount system, Godscale puzzles, some of the heroes that players can take control of, weapon customization, an infinitely replayable dungeon crawling mode, and more. Those who pre-order will get a copy of the original Asgard’s Wrath, a sandsea home environment, an Asgard’s Wrath 2-themed character and title in Population One, and some in-game items when the sequel finally releases. Asgard’s Wrath 2 will be released during winter 2023.
- I Expect You to Die 3: Cog in the Machine got a new trailer and is now available to pre-order.
- Schell Games also revealed Silent Slayer: Vault of the Vampire, a stealth horror game.
- Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord got a new trailer.
- Physics-based brawler UNDERDOGS was revealed by Racket: Nx developer One Hamsa.
- A new version of NFL Pro Era is coming this year with new modes, features, and roster updates.
- Racket Club got a new trailer.
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Justice was announced and will be released this fall for the Meta Quest 2 and 3.
- Procedurally generated dungeon crawler Dungeons of Eternity was announced and will be released later this year.
- Arizona Sunshine 2, which was revealed at the PlayStation Showcase in May, will also be released for Meta Quest 2 later this year.
- Attack on Titan VR: Unbreakable got a new trailer.
- The Assassin’s Creed VR game got the title Assassin’s Creed: Nexus VR. We’ll learn more about it during the Ubisoft Forward event on June 12.
- No More Rainbows is available now on the Meta Quest Store.
- Little Cities’ Sandbox Update will let players create island cities later this month.
- SWERY revealed a deadly Poker VR game called Death Game Hotel.
- Ghost Signal: A Stellaris Game’s free Fleet Expansion update was revealed and launched today.
- Walkabout Mini Golf is getting a Journey to the Center of the Earth course on June 8, an Exploding Kittens crossover in July, and iOS crossplay support later this summer.
- Onward update 1.11 will add new weapons, improve graphical fidelity, and revamp the killhouse and shooting range this summer.
- Demeo PvP spin-off Demeo Battles got a new trailer.
- Puzzle shooter We Are One is available today for Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest Pro.
- PowerWash Simulator VR was announced for Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest Pro. It will be released later this year.
- Everything announced at the September 2023 State of Play
- Every summer 2023 gaming showcase: full schedule of live streams
- The 7th Guest VR is an ingenious reimagining of a PC gaming classic
- Tekken 8 will kick off 2024; January release date revealed
- Everything announced at Gamescom Opening Night Live 2023