Xbox Live Director of Programming Larry Hryb announced the giveaway on Twitter, and included an image of the specialty consoles that will be sent to the service’s long-term subscribers.
“I can confirm we’re surprising some of the #Xbox LIVE members that have been with us the longest with one of these,” he wrote.
Over at All Games Beta, there are photos of the 250 GB console and the XBL-themed box it will arrive in, as well as a letter from the Xbox Live team that will accompany it. The letter indicates that the console will be sent to subscribers who have been with the service for more than ten years, and the console will also come with a free year of Xbox Live.
Given many of the recent updates to Xbox Live that have pushed it further away from standalone gaming console and toward the realm of all-purpose media center, there’s a good chance that the number of subscribers over the next ten years might make a similar console giveaway impossible — though we’re probably not alone in hoping it happens.
- Microsoft is setting the stage for Xbox Game Pass to thrive
- Xbox Game Pass to get all future first-party Xbox One games at release
- Nintendo Switch vs. Xbox One: Can the new hybrid best the established console?
- Play ball! T-Mobile celebrates opening day with Major League Baseball giveaways
- Everything you need to know about Hulu and Hulu with Live TV