Following a successful PSN Store launch on the PlayStation Network, 4J Studios’ port of Mojang’s Minecraft is headed for a physical media release in retail stores on May 16, 2014. Sony hasn’t listed a price yet, but the downloadable version goes for $19.99, the same price as the Xbox 360 release, which is available both on disc and as a download.
So far, the download-only release has sold more than 1.5 million copies on the PlayStation 3, though overall console sales are considerably higher when you factor in the 12 million copies moved for Xbox 360 users. The retail version of the PS3 release will include the same game available for purchase online, up to date through update 14, which added “emeralds, Ender Chests, potatoes, and more.”
4J Studios is currently working on versions of the game for both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. No word yet on when those versions might be released.
- ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ still burning rubber after 4 years, tops sales of 90 million
- Xbox Game Pass to get all future first-party Xbox One games at release
- ‘Metal Gear Survive’ contains a secret tribute to Hideo Kojima
- ‘Destiny 2’ players will have to wait a bit longer for new Nightfall rewards
- Don’t get psyched just yet — Double Fine delays ‘Psychonauts 2’ past 2018