Mega Man devotees have been breathlessly following the development of Mighty No. 9, Keiji Inafune’s spiritual sequel to the legendary platforming series he created in the late ’80s.
After a goal-shattering Kickstarter campaign last summer, the game has been in development with regularly shared progress updates and footage. The latest video shows off some of protagonist Beck’s transformations, including a sword-wielding form that looks suspiciously like Mega Man X favorite Zero, with his signature red armor and yellow ponytail.
The footage also shares a first look at Call (har har), Beck’s playable female counterpart. Her jetpack-powered play-style seems to be more about mobility and evasion, but this may just be a function of having fewer animations than Beck in this early build.
The gameplay is classic Mega Man platforming with a beautiful HD makeover. The music will also make you feel right at home, with the game’s soundtrack being created by Mega Man 1 & 2 composers Manami Matsumae and Takashi Tateishi. The dash from Mega Man X makes a prominent return, now doubling as an attack to finish of foes and maintain momentum to build up combos as you tear through the level.
Mighty No. 9 is scheduled to release in spring 2015 on basically every platform imaginable.
- Two ‘Mega Man X Legacy Collection’ compilations are coming this July
- ‘Bloodborne’ and ‘Ratchet & Clank’ lead March’s PlayStation Plus lineup
- Baby got Beck: Grandmother’s Instagram inspires rock icon’s new music video
- The Rocket Lab founder just launched a giant disco ball into orbit
- The best game console you can buy right now