Nintendo has been king of the handheld market for over 15 years now. During this time, they haven’t had to worry much about competition due to past failures like the Game Gear, Lynx, and Neo GeoPocket. However, in 2005, when Sony released their PSP gaming system, Nintendo had to worry. Nintendo is now launching a totally re-designed DS with hopes of making a comeback and bringing them backinto the limelight.
The new DS is called the DS Lite and will sport all new cosmetic features such as a thinner, sleeker case. The device will come in weighing less as well at 2/3 the weight of the original DS design.Also expect a brighter screen for improved game play at nighttime. You’ll also be able to match your DS to your iPod now, because the DS Lite comes it a bright white color similar to that of Apple’spopular music player.
Don’t go rushing out to your local Gamestop or Best Buy just yet though, the newly designed DS is being launched in March in Japan for 16,800 yen or about $145 here. No release date is set for the USthough, but keep an eye out for it near Summer and Fall of this year.
- Nintendo has its sights set on peripherals, not Switch 2.0
- Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto thinks Switch life cycle could surpass six years
- The 20 best Nintendo Switch games you can buy today
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ and ‘Splatoon 2’ DLC lead a crammed Nintendo Direct
- Honor 9 Lite vs. Honor 9: Can little brother take down its impressive sibling?