Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Gaming
  3. Legacy Archives

NBA Live 15 exec producer addresses last year’s shortcomings in an open letter

Add as a preferred source on Google

EA Sports has an uphill battle to fight in regaining the respect of its basketball fans after the hot mess that was NBA Live 14Uninteresting gameplay modes and sloppy graphics revealed the game to be a slapdash rush job, seemingly shoved out the door before it was ready for the spotlight in a quixotic attempt at producing a next-gen launch title.

Executive producer Sean O’Brien wants to make amends, and he says as much in an open letter to the fans. He’s aware of the problems that plagued 2013’s game, and he expresses an earnest desire to do better this year. In practice the letter reads very similarly to a previous open letter that O’Brien published after the release of NBA Live 14 to apologize for all of its shortcomings. This time around, the developers are taking a cue from the rising culture of open development and sharing their process with the fans earlier.

Recommended Videos

“As I’ve said previously, we know we fell short in two major areas with NBA LIVE 14. 5-on-5 gameplay didn’t have the depth and polish of an EA Sports game and our visuals just weren’t up to expectations for a next-gen title,” O’Brien wrote. “We’ve been laser-focused on making sure that this isn’t the case with NBA LIVE 15 and I’m really excited with our progress in those two areas.”

For more realistic gameplay, the EA Tiburon went to the source, interviewing coaches in order to better distill their strategic considerations into sharper AI that better mirrors the specific tactical character of particular teams. Graphically, the previous game showed glimmers of the new console technology’s capabilities in inanimate areas like fabric and lighting, but stumbled on the near side of the Uncanny Valley when it came to anything human. To that end, the team has taken head scans of nearly the entire league, to stick on top of their newly-redesigned player models.

“We have very lofty goals for NBA LIVE 15, and we knew that the most important thing we could do to improve our chances for achieving these goals was to put our heads down and work as hard as possible with minimal distractions,” O’Brien wrote. 

EA will start sharing gameplay from NBA Live 15 in July, followed by a steady drip of in-depth coverage leading up to its release for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on October 7.

Will Fulton
Former Staff Writer, Gaming
Will Fulton is a New York-based writer and theater-maker. In 2011 he co-founded mythic theater company AntiMatter Collective…
The U.S. needs air traffic controllers, and it’s turning to gamers for help
Secretary Sean Duffy says gamer recruitment is helping the FAA reach its hiring goals.
Airport, Aircraft, Airplane

Perhaps all those hours spent playing Counter-Strike 2, Valorant, or StarCraft II could finally prove useful outside your gaming setup. The U.S. Department of Transportation has been recruiting gamers to become air traffic controllers, and Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy says the unusual approach is already helping the Federal Aviation Administration make progress toward its hiring target.

The FAA says its gamer recruitment push is working

Read more
Valve keeps widening the SteamOS net, and more handhelds are finally getting caught
Valve's SteamOS handheld empire just got a little bigger
The Lenovo Legion Go S with SteamOS installed.

SteamOS isn't just a byproduct developed for Valve's gaming hardware, and the company is proving this by expanding support for other handhelds aside from the Steam Deck. While the platform hasn't been exclusive to the Steam Deck, more handhelds from MSI, Ayaneo, and Konkr are getting support for Valve's latest SteamOS beta.

As spotted by Notebookcheck, Valve’s new SteamOS 3.8.25 beta expands support for several third-party handhelds. This doesn’t amount to Valve giving every device full SteamOS certification, but the update brings another handful of machines closer to working properly with the company’s gaming-focused operating system.

Read more
Intel Arc G3 Extreme Tested: Intel has finally arrived in handheld gaming
Intel's new handheld chip brings serious performance without treating the battery like an afterthought.
MSI Claw Intel Arc G3 Extreme Logo 2

I first caught a glimpse of Intel's new handheld silicon at Computex 2026, where I saw early hardware powered by it, including the MSI Claw 8 EX AI+ and Acer Predator Atlas 8. But seeing a chip run a demo on a show floor and actually pushing it through real-world workloads are two very different things. When MSI eventually sent me the production Claw for a spin, I finally got that opportunity. I only had the device for a short time, but that brief window was enough to make one thing clear: Intel's Arc G3 Extreme is a seriously capable handheld gaming platform.

Built for the handheld watt wars

Read more